Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First in a Year!

1. Default First in a Year!

Havnt fired up the CW in over a year due to a busy, busy, schedule. Fired up and ran with no problems, i was impressed. Anyways made these couple signs out of red oak for a friend of mine in Texas. Unfortunately i had to photoshop their number per their request. These are some of my favorite to do, the painted centerline always comes out crisp. I wouldn't want to do letters any bigger. It was a pretty good strain on the CW with the large letters on red oak. Not sure what the trees are, but its what was wanted. The signs are 8x48 and 6x48. Thanks...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG1010.JPG   CIMG1011.JPG   CIMG1004.JPG  
    www.twinpeaksenterprisesllc.com

"Premium, Kiln Dried, Dimensioned to your request, Black Cherry, Black Walnut, Poplar, woods limited quanities"

Default Great Job!

Those signs are terrific...almost as good looking as the inside of your shop(?). I'm not very good at designing things but really enjoy carving patterns from the CW forums.

My CW is carving as I type. Making a third clock from the POM series. The first one was from pine and put a cherry stain on it, the second was from walnut, the third is from oak...almost done.

Once again..great job.

Gean

Very nice! Do you do it like ike and some other members here? Slop the paint on after the v-carve and then sand excess off?

Doug Fletcher

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    Very nice! Do you do it like ike and some other members here? Slop the paint on after the v-carve and then sand excess off?

Doug Fletcher
    Haha Yes Exzactly!!! Works great! Its a little more tedious with raster, cant remember last time i used raster. Centerline was the best upgrade i ever bought.

"Premium, Kiln Dried, Dimensioned to your request, Black Cherry, Black Walnut, Poplar, woods limited quanities"

Your signs look really great, nice job. I agree, the centerline text is so nice looking and worth the expense for the upgrade. I haven't used it much as I'm new at this. But could you tell me your proceedure on painting the letters as I've seen some bleeding if I don't seal it first. thanks

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    Your signs look really great, nice job. I agree, the centerline text is so nice looking and worth the expense for the upgrade. I haven't used it much as I'm new at this. But could you tell me your proceedure on painting the letters as I've seen some bleeding if I don't seal it first. thanks
    Jerry,
    The procedure for painting centerline is fairly simple. I just simply apply the paint with a brush to the inside of the letters. It is not real time consuming since you dont have to worry about getting paint outside the letters because it will need sanded before applying finish. Sand with a orbital or a drum sander and the acces paint comes off leaving a crisp finish. I have never had a problem with paint bleeding. Stain yes but paint no. I just use the .99 cent tubes of paints from wal mart in the craft section. They have a bout a hundred different colors and from my experience have held up excellent both indoors and out.

Man, that looks real fine-- great job

I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but it looks like the trees may be mesquite trees... they cover the entire South-West

I too find that paint does just fine in oak-- as long as it is acrylic I don't need to sand. For spray paint I do however use a basecoat of shellac to cut down on the capillary effect

Again, nice job on the sign
    Lawrence

Nice to see you back with your beautiful signs. They are very impressive!
    Thanks for sharing the process and finish.
    Cheers, Ray

Default Wow! Small world!!

Pretty sure I know who (or where) your customer is! I hope it is a future B&B in a little town (that was my home for over 10 years) just southwest of LHR!

By the way, those are Texas Live Oaks!!! Almost every town down here uses them in their logo design in some form or fashion!

Love the sign!

Great looking projects. Very nice finish
    Keep up the great work.
    Where is the "Any Key" key located on the keypad
    Growing old is a privilege not everyone gets to enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast