Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Set sliding guide plate error

Murphy stricks again! I've spent all day yesterday and most of today trying to figure out where this "Board Find Fault" was coming from which caused the machine to stop measuring and give the message "Set Sliding Guide Plate and press Enter." As indicated in below posts I've tried about everything. Looking at my guide a few minutes ago I got to thinking (very dangerous for me) that maybe I had put the guide on backwards when I was working on my machine a few days ago -- short story -- I took the two screws out, turned it around, and, presto, works like a charm and you can probably hear it running right now! Thanks everyone for helping my brain kick into gear!

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for sharing your goof up with us. I know your problem has several of us baffled as to why you were having it...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shotgun 6 View Post
    Murphy stricks again! I've spent all day yesterday and most of today trying to figure out where this "Board Find Fault" was coming from which caused the machine to stop measuring and give the message "Set Sliding Guide Plate and press Enter." As indicated in below posts I've tried about everything. Looking at my guide a few minutes ago I got to thinking (very dangerous for me) that maybe I had put the guide on backwards when I was working on my machine a few days ago -- short story -- I took the two screws out, turned it around, and, presto, works like a charm and you can probably hear it running right now! Thanks everyone for helping my brain kick into gear!

Bill
    Congrats on fix it! Sometimes taking a step back is the best strategy.
    About your question about how the machine sense that the bit is touching, it monitors the current in the Z motor. When the bit touches the plate, the current in the motor increases. It then records the Z height and repeats the process to get an average.
    May you be well, may you find happiness! : - )
    "Exaggerated self-importance is deemed an individual fault, but a racial virtue." From Kelly Millar

Thanks Pratyeta --thats good info I'll put in my learning file. I'm about 80% through on the Joy Tree carve and the machine is running the way it's supposed to and the carve really looks good! The combination of the Rock, the CW-Parts carving bit and the ringneckblues DC make carving a real pleasure. I'm not knocking the CW bits -- they work fine too. Ron's are just easier to install in the Rock because you don't have to be concerned about the orientation.

Bill

While that sound like a fix for something I might have done ("put the guide on backwards") but I haven't done anything to the machine except update the software and change over to the new bit retention system. I tried turing the plated 180 degrees, but that only causes other problems... This checking of the slide guide plate is something new... I've got an old machine, but over the last 3 years, I've never seen this happen and I always us the cut-pattern function on everything I carve... Is there any other ideas out there to fix this problem... Maybe I have to go back to version 1.60
    Dirtydan
    A.K.A. The Gunny
    Every day I thank God for Mister Levi Strauss
    mailto:gunny@thegunnys.us
    http://www.thegunnys.us

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydan View Post
    While that sound like a fix for something I might have done ("put the guide on backwards") but I haven't done anything to the machine except update the software and change over to the new bit retention system. I tried turing the plated 180 degrees, but that only causes other problems... This checking of the slide guide plate is something new... I've got an old machine, but over the last 3 years, I've never seen this happen and I always us the cut-pattern function on everything I carve... Is there any other ideas out there to fix this problem... Maybe I have to go back to version 1.60
    Tell us what you see happening.
    My guess is that the wood stops moving, but the sandpaper belts are still in motion.
    This would indicate that the sliding plate is too tight against the wood for some reason. Most times, this will be due to the edges not being parallel. If you slide the wood through the machine, before you lower the head, you may see that this is the case.

Let us know if this is on the right track.
    AskBud

PS: It could also be from a warped board, or rolled belt, But I suspect the above as my first choice.
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Ok, I broke the code.... The cutting bit with the pre-installed collar needs the 1/2" stop collar installed also. Did't have that problem when I was using the split collar and my old cutting bit. Yes, I did use the 1/4" stop collar with the split collar, but those bits are much longer than the CW with the pre-installed collar. Hmmmmmmm Problem fixed. So it sounds like there is more than one reason for the slide guide plate error.../ problem..

Take care,
    Dirtydan
    A.K.A. The Gunny
    Every day I thank God for Mister Levi Strauss
    mailto:gunny@thegunnys.us
    http://www.thegunnys.us

DirtyDan
    If you read this, I just wanted to say!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for takeing the time to post what you found with this problem, I am sure it saved me many hours of reading and frustration.
    Have a great day!
    Be the change you want to see in the world!
    Richard
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12