Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My friend Tony

1. Default

I haven't had much time during the summer and fall, our main business is seasonal and is a mad house during the spring and summer, so I only called Tony once this summer. He said everything was going well. I now have some time and gave Tony a call. His number was disconnected. My heart skipped a beat or two. I did some checking and found this.

CLEMENTS, Walker E."Tony" Lt. Col. USAF Ret.(Age 92)
    Passed away September 26, 2010. He was born in Dothan, Alabama and graduated from high school and joined the military. He married Mary Hale July 4, 1939. Tony was a navigator on B-25, B-36 and B-52's and was a WWII veteran. He retired after serving 26 years for his country as a Lt.Colonel. After retirement he went on to build several homes and had a great passion for finished woodworking. He is survived by his granddaughters Cindy Berge and Stacy Noble Hodl ; two great-grandchildren and two great great-grandchildren. Preceded in death by his loving wife of 70 years Mary H. Clements and daughter Linda S. Cofer. At his request a private family gathering was held.

It's a sad day.
    Last edited by TerryT; 01-12-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Wow.

I hate to hear about someone passing, especially when its a close friend. I'm sorry to hear that Tony has left us. Its amazing that he decided to try to tackle technology that late in life. Seeing the pictures you posted of his first project leads me to believe that he finally got the hang of it.

Do you happen to have any more pictures of his work?
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

You get the great memory.
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

Terry

Sorry to hear about your loss. Had something similar happen in reverse with an older friend of mine a few years ago...was thinking I need to call him and see how he's doing. Got a call that night and the caller ID it was my friends number. It was his daughter to let me know he had passed away and when the funeral was...weird when it happens like that, really makes you think how short it is
    Last edited by jpaluck; 01-12-2011 at 05:24 PM.
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by atauer View Post
    Wow.

I hate to hear about someone passing, especially when its a close friend. I'm sorry to hear that Tony has left us. Its amazing that he decided to try to tackle technology that late in life. Seeing the pictures you posted of his first project leads me to believe that he finally got the hang of it.

Do you happen to have any more pictures of his work?
    I wish I did. His house was filled with furniture that he had built. The kitchen cabinets all had hand carved Oak doors. One day when we were visiting he got out an album filled with photos of things he had made. Most were made for and given to friends. There was some pretty incredible work, tables, china hutches, entertainment centers, etc. His mind was sharp and he learned quickly. His engineering skills were still great and he knew what he wanted to acomplish.
    Last edited by TerryT; 01-12-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Indeed a sad day. Sorry you had to find out this way. My condolences.

7. Default

I spoke to Tony's grandaughters today. "He would love for you to have it!". "Thanks, I would be honored to have Tony's machine." Cindy and her sister made a very generous deal and I now have an almost new Compucarve. I would rather be using it at Tony's house and watching the grin on his face like we used to do, but this is the next best thing. There are several memory cards. Most of them have projects that he made but never got to carve. I guess even 93 years isn't enough time for all the fun we would like to have.

Glad to hear it Terry.

My respectful salute to you Terry! Bravo
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Terry,

No better way to have a good memory of a great friend!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast