Thread: $100 Pattern Challenge!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation $100 Pattern Challenge!!

Hello All,

LONG POST WARNING...

It is without doubt that we have some of the most talented designers and pattern makers here on this forum. My skill in making patterns is nonexistent, and if it wasn't for the shared and purchased patterns, along with the POMs the CW would make me a great paperweight Now I need a pattern that means a lot to me and thought I would try something different....

So here is the scoop....Over the holidays my wife and I lost our 10 year old beagle Lucy, longtime friend and my faithful companion. I couldn't ask for a better dog. I plan to make her a memorial plaque and I have the layout roughed out. What I lack is the ability to make a good pattern out of one of Lucy's pictures....

So here is the challenge: Make a pattern for me using the attached photo. I have attached a screen capture from a larger photo. All I want is her head with a little bit of neck in the pattern. No background. The actual photo is high res and around 2MB (too big to post) and I will be happy to email it to anyone if they think it will help.

The challenge payout: $100 bucks cold hard cash for the best pattern as chosen by my wife. Your choice for payment - PayPal, Mail you a Visa Gift Card, or fold a nice crisp 100 dollar bill in an envelope and shoot it to you in the mail. If you prefer I can make a donation to whatever cause in your name and have them send the confirmation to you. Bottom line is lots of different ways, I am very flexible here.

The Rules & Catches & Fine Print (ahhhh you knew there had to be some):

1. Timeline will be 1 week. I will post the winner next Tuesday.

2. Here is a big one, and one of the reasons the prize money is pretty high - submissions must be photos of ACTUAL carves. I dont care about the wood, use any old scrap you have. I have found that even purchased patterns sometimes do not carve the way they are shown, especially with alot of detail. No paint or stain, just the carve. Please do not submit screenshots from designer unless you are asking a question about it.

3. I am looking for a carve size of around 6" x 6".

4. Lots of people post patterns out of the kindness of their heart, I will pick a winner and pay out EVEN if someone posts a pattern for free that I like and use. The game goes on until next Tuesday even if people post great patterns for free, so please do not be dissuaded if you see something nice posted.

5. Any submissions belong to the pattern maker. They can resell them on websites, through CW store, whatever. Think of it as me just licensing a pattern from someone like any other pattern. I hold no claim to it other than the ability to use it. Hopefully if someone takes the time to make a pattern as nice as I envision they can take my hundred bucks AND sell it for a bunch more in their online stores...just consider me the first sale.

Any questions? Post em up and I will do my best to respond timely. Good luck to all and thanks in advance to any that decide to participate...

Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lucy.jpg