Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $100 Pattern Challenge!!

Exclamation $100 Pattern Challenge!!

Hello All,

LONG POST WARNING...

It is without doubt that we have some of the most talented designers and pattern makers here on this forum. My skill in making patterns is nonexistent, and if it wasn't for the shared and purchased patterns, along with the POMs the CW would make me a great paperweight Now I need a pattern that means a lot to me and thought I would try something different....

So here is the scoop....Over the holidays my wife and I lost our 10 year old beagle Lucy, longtime friend and my faithful companion. I couldn't ask for a better dog. I plan to make her a memorial plaque and I have the layout roughed out. What I lack is the ability to make a good pattern out of one of Lucy's pictures....

So here is the challenge: Make a pattern for me using the attached photo. I have attached a screen capture from a larger photo. All I want is her head with a little bit of neck in the pattern. No background. The actual photo is high res and around 2MB (too big to post) and I will be happy to email it to anyone if they think it will help.

The challenge payout: $100 bucks cold hard cash for the best pattern as chosen by my wife. Your choice for payment - PayPal, Mail you a Visa Gift Card, or fold a nice crisp 100 dollar bill in an envelope and shoot it to you in the mail. If you prefer I can make a donation to whatever cause in your name and have them send the confirmation to you. Bottom line is lots of different ways, I am very flexible here.

The Rules & Catches & Fine Print (ahhhh you knew there had to be some):

1. Timeline will be 1 week. I will post the winner next Tuesday.

2. Here is a big one, and one of the reasons the prize money is pretty high - submissions must be photos of ACTUAL carves. I dont care about the wood, use any old scrap you have. I have found that even purchased patterns sometimes do not carve the way they are shown, especially with alot of detail. No paint or stain, just the carve. Please do not submit screenshots from designer unless you are asking a question about it.

3. I am looking for a carve size of around 6" x 6".

4. Lots of people post patterns out of the kindness of their heart, I will pick a winner and pay out EVEN if someone posts a pattern for free that I like and use. The game goes on until next Tuesday even if people post great patterns for free, so please do not be dissuaded if you see something nice posted.

5. Any submissions belong to the pattern maker. They can resell them on websites, through CW store, whatever. Think of it as me just licensing a pattern from someone like any other pattern. I hold no claim to it other than the ability to use it. Hopefully if someone takes the time to make a pattern as nice as I envision they can take my hundred bucks AND sell it for a bunch more in their online stores...just consider me the first sale.

Any questions? Post em up and I will do my best to respond timely. Good luck to all and thanks in advance to any that decide to participate...

Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lucy.jpg  

Hi Craig,

Worked on this a little today but it is no whare close to show the last dog pattern I worked on took me a couple of weeks, I am sure there are others working on this nice project . Just wanted to say sorry for your loose and that there are many who care for you and yours.
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RayTrek View Post
    Hi Craig,

Worked on this a little today but it is no whare close to show the last dog pattern I worked on took me a couple of weeks, I am sure there are others working on this nice project . Just wanted to say sorry for your loose and that there are many who care for you and yours.
    Ray
    Thanks Ray, I really appreciate that. I thought about doing the memorial plaque with everything but the picture and having it laser engraved on, but it just doesn't seem the same if I don't make it myself. I know I am not making the pattern either, but at least it will all be by my hand. I guess it's just my way of saying goodbye.

Craig

Default Just my thoughts

Craig,

Have you thought about doing a litho? You could then use the original image..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Craig,

Have you thought about doing a litho? You could then use the original image..
    Hi FWHarris,

I had considered it, but I would really like to make a larger memorial plaque to hang in our bedroom. The one I am planning will be pretty large, with Lucy's picture in the center, and a small carve region for a photo to sit under plexi, and The Rainbow Bridge text, and a little hook to hang her collar. Maybe too ambitious but I want to do the best I can.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Craig

Hi All,

I have had a few questions from people, so I thought I would just post them up here in case anyone is wondering the same thing:

Q. If I am not able to make the pattern in time for the contest do I still get the rights to sell it?
    A. Absolutely. I am not commisioning a pattern for me to own. All I am after is the best likeness of Lucy with the most detail I can get in a pattern I can use. Like I said before, if someone has the talent and skill and takes the time to make any pattern, it should be theirs to sell. The prize money is just to stimulate interest in making this specific pattern because I want it.

Q. Does the carve have to be 2D or 3D?
    A. Honestly, I don't know. I am looking for the closest thing to looking like her that I can get. As long as it carves clearly and the features are recognizable, I am happy.

Q. What happens to the prize money if nobody submits anything?
    A. Besides me being disappointed, nothing. I made it a contest, if nobody submits, nobody wins.

Q. What if none of the submissions are what you are looking for?
    A. I made the contest and will stick by it. My wife will pick the one she likes best and they will be the winner and get the prize money. Even if I do not use the submission for my memorial plaque. If that is the case, I will probably look to commision someone or look to alternate methods such as laser engraving. Or purchase a copy of the pattern if someone makes it after the contest ends.

Hope that helps clear some things up. I look forward to and appreciate any and all submissions.

Thanks,
    Craig

I agree with IKE. It is not right to capitalize on someone elses loss. I would try but I know there are others out there a hell of alot better than me. If I won I would not accept the money because I think something like this should be done out of the kindness of the heart. Just my thoughts.

Guys - Thanks for all the kind words.

I really don't consider it capitalizing on me though. I put it in my first post that I wanted to run it as a contest because I was hoping to stir some interest from the pattern makers on here.

It's great if anyone offers up a pattern for free that they don't want to carve or dont want to play the by contest guidelines (size etc), but I really do think the contest itself is a good way to see some great patterns.

As for the money, 100 bucks isn't going to wildly swing my world one way or the other, so I felt it was a good prize for the challenge. I am am asking for a lot here, including taking the time to carve it. If the winner decides to take the money, that's fine, I knew what I was doing. I also mentioned the option to donate it to a charity of your choice or whatever in case someone did feel weird about taking money.

Either way - I can't wait to see some more pattterns posted up and hope the contest goes on...

Craig

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by c6craig View Post
    Guys - Thanks for all the kind words.

I really don't consider it capitalizing on me though. I put it in my first post that I wanted to run it as a contest because I was hoping to stir some interest from the pattern makers on here.

It's great if anyone offers up a pattern for free that they don't want to carve or dont want to play the by contest guidelines (size etc), but I really do think the contest itself is a good way to see some great patterns.

As for the money, 100 bucks isn't going to wildly swing my world one way or the other, so I felt it was a good prize for the challenge. I am am asking for a lot here, including taking the time to carve it. If the winner decides to take the money, that's fine, I knew what I was doing. I also mentioned the option to donate it to a charity of your choice or whatever in case someone did feel weird about taking money.

Either way - I can't wait to see some more pattterns posted up and hope the contest goes on...

Craig
    Craig, I think it’s admirable what you have started. I, like the rest would never capitalize on another’s loss. In my opinion the best charity would be a forum member that is hurting, like the gentleman in KS that has to sell his equipment.
    I tried to soften the eyes and nose, you may have this one if it works for you. I couldn't carve this if I wanted to, CW put up for the winter in DFW..
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by twiceretired; 01-10-2010 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Add statement

Here ya go... it's an mpc but it can be used anyway you want...
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Company Site My Company Blog My Church Blog My Church Website My Patterns

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast