Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board feeding problem

Default Board feeding problem

Looks like I will have to call carvewright on Monday AM but I went to carve a sign today and the machine will not feed the board. It will go aways and stop whit a clicking sound. Sounds like maybe a stripped gear or belt cog. Anyone else ever have this problem? Based on all your experiences I am sure Carvewright wil make this right but right now I am frustrated and I had reserved a weekend to work in the machine. Bummer. Have maybe 5-6 smaller signes carved and am very excited with the machine but this problem hits at the wrong time...

Randy,
    This happened a couple of times to me when it got out to the extreme end when checking the length. I just tugged on it a little and it went fine. Don't know if this will get you through the weekend or not.

Bob

I have had this happen to me as well, it seems to happen when there is a slight bow in the
    board. Check and make sure the board is flat not bowed.

Matty

I have had this happen to me as well, it seems to happen when there is a slight bow in the
    board. Check and make sure the board is flat not bowed.

Matty

I had that happen to me too and it was bowed board as well. Let us know what was the problem on yours and what worked.

I too had a gear problem. It started with a board that was 1/16" out of parallel and Chris talked me through the repair. It is rather hard to find the first time around but under the cover on the right side is a small caulked on gear case cover. Once that is removed there is an adjustment for the gears and if the screw is a little loose they will un-mesh. Depending on your mechanical aptitude you may or not want to investigate. I'll check back here later & if you need more help, I'll try to walk you through.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Quote Originally Posted by pkunk
    I too had a gear problem. It started with a board that was 1/16" out of parallel and Chris talked me through the repair. It is rather hard to find the first time around but under the cover on the right side is a small caulked on gear case cover. Once that is removed there is an adjustment for the gears and if the screw is a little loose they will un-mesh. Depending on your mechanical aptitude you may or not want to investigate. I'll check back here later & if you need more help, I'll try to walk you through.
    Pkunk... You are partly right. I took off the side cover and pulled out the gear box cover. It is not a loose set screw. Rather one of the plastic gears has about 3-4 teeth stripped off of it. How that happened is beyond me. Drive motor has a small brass gear on it. That drives a plastic gear which is on a shft with another small brass gear. That second brass gear drives a second plastic gear (about the size of an old silver dollar). That second plastic one is the one that is missing the teeth. It makes no sense to me because it finished a carving on Wednesday night and then yesterday morning it would not work at all. Oh well. At least maybe I will not have to send the whole shabang back. Maybe they can just ship me a gear? We will see. Thanks for the tip of where to look!

Also, if the right board guide is too tight to the wood, it's possible that it'll put enough strain on the gears that the teeth might get damaged. I've been told to be sure that the board manually can be slipped prior to locking the rollers.

Bob Hill
    Tampa FL

Is there anyone online familiar with this fix? I have a similar problem, heard the clicking noise also. I'd like to take the cover off and check to see if the plastic gear is broken. Is the gear box on the side with the keypad or the other side and it is located at the bottom or top and approximately how big is it?

Thanks.

Sure would be nice if this forum had a thread with a maintenance index that always stayed at the forefront of a forum with a description of the issue or maintenance type with a link or links to the fixes / processes. Seems like that would help everyone allot including redundant posts and minimize some of the load on the moderators over time.
    Regards,
    Zeke

Zeke, check out this thread by Digitalworkshop.
    http://www.carvewright.com/forum/sho...=stripped+gear
    He has practically stripped and rebuilt his machines, he shows very informative pictures.
    Good Luck
    If it doesn't fit force it. If it breaks then it needed replacing anyway.

Have a Craftsman Carver and Running Ver. 1.150

Posting pictures tutorial http://www.malanoski.com/downloads/posting_pictures.pdf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast