Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Christmas patterns

Mike,

You're right, up to a point. Having 16 bit grayscale, rather than 8 bit, means the file is going to be almost twice as big. On another current thread, one poster was mentioning having problems while transferring large files. It seems that all pattern files go into one large file so then RAM capacity of your machine becomes ultra-important. Also, it tells me, because of the other thread, to back up this file almost daily, the simplest doing sequential back-ups.

Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Mike,

You're right, up to a point. Having 16 bit grayscale, rather than 8 bit, means the file is going to be almost twice as big.
    No, I don't think so in this case. Not the same as a conventional graphics program (which I believe the file size would actually be four times larger). The 16-bit "processing" by Designer/Pattern Editor yields a dithered down 8-bit greyscale file. (Our CarveWright machines still only read 256 shades of grey...i.e., 8-bit). Doing it this way can yield a better overall quality pattern while at the same time, keeps the file sizes about the same as before. I think Jeff Birt has a better understanding of the process and may be able to clarify, although it probably doesn't matter much in any case. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    On another current thread, one poster was mentioning having problems while transferring large files. It seems that all pattern files go into one large file so then RAM capacity of your machine becomes ultra-important. Also, it tells me, because of the other thread, to back up this file almost daily, the simplest doing sequential back-ups.

Chief
    It is always best, when possible, to keep individual PTN (and MPW) backups separate from the "master file" (patterns are placed in the favorites.mpn when they are imported - if you directly import a ptn without saving the ptn as a separate file, then the mpn is the only location for that particular pattern). Keeping individual PTN (and MPW, if applicable) files in their own directories/folders on your hard drive (and/or backup drive) enables you to easily transfer any or all PTN's (and MPW's) individually to any computer without having to transfer the actual "favorites.mpn" file just for a pattern or two.

I'm still not sure about the RAM issue myself, but like I said before, a couple folks have said as the mpn file grows, it seemed to affect their computer's efficiency. Again, I have not noticed any "bogging down" myself. Backup up is a part of a sensible regimen that all of us need to do, of course. I have scheduled full backups for all of my hard drives three times a week, in the wee hours of the morning. I also perform intermittent manual backups of certain folders/files, when I feel so inclined.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 01-03-2010 at 04:22 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123