Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Classic Round Wall Clock - Project of the Month

Default The Classic Round Wall Clock - Project of the Month

Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month, the "Classic Round Wall Clock". This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

This classic round clock was inspired by early 20th-Century Post Office clocks made by the Lenzkirch clock factory in Germany, circa 1910. The original round Lenzkirch post office clocks were often up to 16 inches in diameter. This version is a reduced size at just under a 10" diameter, is 1½" thick and remains faithful to the overall design style.

This clock will compliment just about any home decor and makes a wonderful gift item.

The entire project is carved and cut out with just the two bits that came with your machine, and utilizes just a single board.

This project made me fall in love with my CarveWright machine all over again! Without the CarveWright, a project like this would require a lathe or a shaper to accomplish the round "moulding" detail. No need for those tools...the CarveWright makes this project super easy!

Main items you will need:

1) The Project File (included):
    • Classic Round Clock.mpc

2) Board with the following dimensions:
    .75" x 11" x 29"

(NOTE: Do not use a board that is smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3)
    Clock insert with 5 7/8” face and 3 ¼” mounting diameter. (I used Style #15340 from http://www.klockit.com, although the white-faced version Style #15343 would be more representative of the original Lenzkirch post office clock.)

4)
    Sandpaper, wood stain and clear finish

5)
    A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Classic Round Clock made from Select Pine wood:

Finish:
    1) Bullseye Sanding Sealer - one light coat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured Alcohol)

2) Stain - MinWax Stain (Red Oak # 215)

3) Clearcoat - Several light coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Gloss (spray can), spot-sanding some areas with 400-grit wet/dry sandpaper between coats.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front_View_2_Classic_Round_Clock_450x450.jpg   Edge_of_Clock350x254.jpg   Nail_slot_backview.jpg  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 12-23-2009 at 12:40 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Hi Michael,

Looks like you have done it again, I feel very fortunate to be one who is receiving your wonderful projects.

Thanks Heeps!
    Ray

Thumbs up Project of the Month

Thanks Michael,

I've got a really nice piece of Walnut just the right sizes for
    your Clock Patten. I'll post it when I Carve and Finish it.

Thank You for Your Work
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Thanks, guys! It was a fun project - nice-n-easy to do on the CarveWright, too!

That will look really sharp in Walnut, Ken!

The pic I found of the original Post Office clock appears to be made out of Cherry, but I'm not positive. Just about any wood will look good, though. I think I'll do another one myself out of Red Oak and/or White Oak just for fun. Hmmm, come to think of it, Paul (pkunk) sent me some Ipe wood - I might glue it up and do the clock on that, as well. I need to check and see if I have enough of it.

Here's a pic of an actual Antique Lenzkirch Post Office Clock. It is listed for sale at $750.00.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Actual_Antique_Lenzkirch_Post_Office_Clock.jpg  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Nice project! If you don't have enough of the Ipe, let me know-I have more.
    You'd have to change your board dimension to 5/4 and be extra careful on the glueup though. I use laquer thinner on the freshly jointed edges, glue & clamp immediately.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Paul,

Could you please explain yourself a little more? Why do you have to be careful on the "glue up" and why must you clamp immediately? Does it have something to do with the choice of wood?

Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Paul,

Could you please explain yourself a little more? Why do you have to be careful on the "glue up" and why must you clamp immediately? Does it have something to do with the choice of wood?

Chief
    Yes, Ipe, like many tropical woods, is very oily. Oily wood will not take glue like domestic woods, so the prep I described. Even epoxy will not hold unless the wood is prepped.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Paul,

That makes sense. Thank you.

Chief

Sorry just me..

Change link to..
    http://www.klockit.com/products/sku-AAAMM.html

OK, so you like clocks! I like clocks!

My Son-In-Law asked me to churn out something on the order of the Telecron Model 700 Electroalarm. (Art Deco) He wants it scaled up in size for a mantel clock. Any ideas on where I could find a similar face plate and crystal?

Link: http://uv201.com/Clock_Pages/Telechron/electrolarm.htm

Sorry I bumped your thread.. I had to ask!

Nice work Michael!

LG

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast