Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Never mind

Below is a little reading on Copyright laws that may be helpful. I dont think David was trying to be the villian here that he is being made out to be, laws are laws but....... it is very naive to assume that because there are laws that no one will break them in any way, yes when you post your work on the internet it is yours and is protected, but..it is still in a public domain where alot of people dont care about laws, so some risk is taken by the artist by posting his/her work. When I post some of my work, I know that someone somewhere is going to use it for themselves or even possibly profit from it, thats part of the game and I understand that.

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
    Most folks are afraid of heights, me I fear width.

Thank you! this is my point as well. I can't be the only one who has stumbled upon this little loop hole, however I have been VERY clear on my SOLE INTENDED USE, from my first post.

I understand your concerns about copy rights, HOWEVER, I don't believe there is a court in the world that would give the case to a plaintiff that posts his/her artwork (finished files too boot) on the internet in a open to the public forum. I made a suggestion for TESTING (look at my words) if people choose to be moral or immoral is not in my control.

My morality is in tact and I can sleep just fine knowing my intended use without the wrath of moral justment being heaped on me.

You know since we are on the topic of copyright laws here, lets go a little deeper, if we really want to be picky then the artist who made the images of Elvis and Yoda are in violation of those same laws. The character Yoda and his image was created and owned by Lucasfilm LTD, Mr Lucas is not very keen of unauthorized uses of his creations or likeness of his creations without his permission, I have seen it first hand from Lucasfilms staffed attnys. I am sure the "Elvis Camp" may have something to say as well. So.... should we really throw stones here?
    Most folks are afraid of heights, me I fear width.

4. Default

So here's the thread Shari started.

http://forum.artcam.com/viewtopic.ph...ighlight=shari

Before this gets out of hand, I'd like to step in with some advice for everyone involved.

Copyright protection is central to an artist's livelihood, but it's not likely that an equitable agreement will be reached under the conditions of hot tempers in an online forum. This debate frequently occurs in online communities, and at best a rule of etiquette has been established over the years. Namely, it's frowned upon to copy or link content directly from another public site, but it's usually considered okay to post a link to that other site. That way, the other site gets the traffic and advertising revenue, if any, and it gives the other site the ability to edit or remove the content if it is found to be incorrect or infringing.

Public forums exist to publish information and invite discussion. Common sense dictates that if you want to keep something private, either post it in private, or post it in a way that is unusable for reproducing the original artwork. Watermarked images and JPEG photographs communicate a point and invite a discussion without the artist needing to be overly concerned about theft.

Finally, we ask that you please do not refer to other companies' products by derogatory names in our forums.

Thank you,
    Britt Yenne
    CarveWright

Amen Britt. This Carvewright machine is enough for me to master right now - back to some talk about Carvewright and what IT can do. Thanks for the good intentions David M
    Bill

As my Grandpa used to say "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased!"

Quote Originally Posted by RobertP
    You know since we are on the topic of copyright laws here, lets go a little deeper, if we really want to be picky then the artist who made the images of Elvis and Yoda are in violation of those same laws. The character Yoda and his image was created and owned by Lucasfilm LTD, Mr Lucas is not very keen of unauthorized uses of his creations or likeness of his creations without his permission, I have seen it first hand from Lucasfilms staffed attnys. I am sure the "Elvis Camp" may have something to say as well. So.... should we really throw stones here?
    To put the record straight,i am the 'artist' who created 'Elvis' and 'Yoda' in artcam and i done so with the consent of the owners of these images as it is part of my job,so no i didn't break any copyright of the said images,and others for that matter!!
    As an engraver it is my job to create these images for our clients for promotional use and commercial use as the images are actual dies to emboss their artwork!eg,dvd covers,book covers etc...
    I don't mind people using the images of my creations,if they ask first and do not try to take credit for themselves.
    I felt i had to clear that little issue up.
    What i want to know is what other images of mine were used,and why wasn't i asked first?

Robert check your messages.

Quote Originally Posted by shabang
    Robert check your messages.
    Thanks for that
    I've left you a reply.

Robert check your messages, I left you something as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast