Thread: Check Cut Motor

Default Check Cut Motor

Lately I get the "Check Cut Motor" error message after a couple minutes of carving...I clean it, blow a little through it...then it's fine for the rest of the carve.(when I clean it there is really nothing there to clean, but I feel like I have to do something...I have a good down draft setup)

Is this a sign that the cut motor is going bad??
    Rick P -- ( Designer v.1.187 + Rock + Dust Devil)
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

Rick,

Do you get it usually for centerline or vector carves? Or does it do it no matter what?

Probably not a sign of the motor going bad unless you have a lot of hours on it. It could be the brushes if you have a lot of hours.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I have been running an order for 32 plaques and I'm using Centerline.
    I am going to check my cut hours tomorrow.

From what I have read 250 hours is a good time to change brushes. True?
    Rick P -- ( Designer v.1.187 + Rock + Dust Devil)
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

True...........
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Whenever I route centerline text, I get the "check cut motor" just after the bit starts the second letter. Just like you, I vacuum out the motor, then continue.

I've never gotten the message when doing raster carving. Wonder what's up.

Just for the heck of it try the following.

At the machine keypad
    Enter 0 followed by the number 7

Scroll down to cut sensor test

Open the clear lid and rotate the spindle or remove flex shaft at the Z and turn by hand as you view the screen.

The numbers should increase by one per one rotation of the spindle. If it stays a 0 could be a rpm sensor on the cut motor or the magnet on the end of the cut motor shaft has came off. Easy test and good starting point.

Added Information>

The cut motor sensor cables run from the rpm sensor on the end of the cut motor to the Y termination board.
    This sensor monitors a magnet on the end of the cut motor shaft under the sensor. Each rotation the sensor picks up a pulse.

This same wiring harness Y's off at the Y termination circuit board and goes behind the keypad cover to the roller sensors.

From the Y termination board it leaves via the flat ribbon cable to the controller.

If you get a 0 reading from the test above I would ohm out the cables from the cut motor to the Y termination circuit board.
    Also olm out the ribbon cable from Y termination circuit board to the controller. By doing so will eliminate the cables.

That will leave the magnet on the cut motor/rpm sensor/Y termination board/controller as possible problem.
    Last edited by PCW; 12-11-2009 at 05:46 PM.

I run into this same problem -- and my CarveWright is only a week old. I get the "check cut motor" error message on about the second letter every time I use the Centerline text with 90V bit. After a thorough cleaning with the vacuum, it runs fine for the rest of the sign. Now I don't even vacuum. I just hit "enter" and it proceeds on its merry way. As a test, I cut the exact same sign, except in rastor with the 1/16 bit, and there's no problem. A software glitch?

8. Default

If you got alot of hours on your machine its not a bad idea "in my opinion" to remove the whole cut motor and clean the whole thing out. Dust gets in there and will build up. Also for a cut motor error check your RPM sensor which is located on the cut motor and make sure the magnet that triggers the RPM sensor is still connected to the shaft. Also "overlubing" the shaft will cause the lubricant to run down the shaft, into the cut motor and load up on the RPM sensor causing check cut motor errors.
    www.twinpeaksenterprisesllc.com

"Premium, Kiln Dried, Dimensioned to your request, Black Cherry, Black Walnut, Poplar, woods limited quanities"

In my opinion the Check Cut Motor is a software bug but I still have not ruled out the X Termination Board as a possible cause.

I call it a nuisance bug... I always watch the first minute of carving so I am there to push enter and continue.... Like I notice it will do it on the back side of the board on a 2 sided project and not do it on the front....

I think it is part of the converting from Mpc to Machine language and uploading to the card. The Cut Motor speeds up when starting and then faults...

If you check your cut motor magnet and it is putting out pulses then it will work and your machine will not run in FULL BLAST mode all the time. Remove the plug from the cut motor for the magnet sensor and I believe the machine will run full speed all the time. With the sensor it normally runs at about 80% of full speed... I have never put a Tack on it to get that number, it's just a guess....

SO for me I ignore it for the most part.... It does it on all my machines.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com