Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any interest in buying wide, solid wood, boards?

Well, I've seen this guys boards, after gluing up, and there's no dings and dents to be found. So, I think we'd all be happy....I just need a price to throw at him, as an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleCove View Post
    I'll approach him, but I'd like to give him a figure....
    What do you guys think would be a fair offer that I could toss at him, per board foot?

You know, I'd like to go to him, and ask if he'd be willing to provide us with wide boards, at $x.xx per board foot....and then see what he says...

There is an old saying, "The first person to name a price, loses." That statement might sound a little harsh in that raw form, I suppose, but I have found it is best to allow the merchant to quote a price he/she is comfortable with first.

Depending upon the product being offered, I often consider that to be the "asking price" and also consider it to be negotiable in most cases. That may not apply in this particular case, I don't know. During price discussions, I try to partner with the merchant to find a price that both of us are happy with. Too low, and the merchant will become discouraged and withdraw - too high, and the customer is lost.

Somewhere, there is a price that will work for both. The merchant knows his/her costs and what kind of profit will be needed to keep things rolling - we don't.

I would say to encourage the fellow to quote us the pricing that he feels good about. Once we have some initial figures, we know whether it looks like a viable avenue to pursue.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default Oak & Maple Wood Panels

I'm negotiating on 8 pallets of glue ups they are a mixture of Oak and Maple. The widths are up to 12" and vary in length. What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	29128

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	29129

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	29130

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	29131

Quote Originally Posted by PCW View Post
    I'm negotiating on 8 pallets of glue ups they are a mixture of Oak and Maple. The widths are up to 12" and vary in length. What do you think?
    I think it looks tasty!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

One way is to charge buy the board ft. lets say that red oak is 2.70 a board foot add .30 for glue and sanding = $3.00

maple 1.90 add .30 cents = $2.20 board ft. ect..

A standard size could be better like 13.25" x 42"x .79" for shipping. the price could raise or drop as to quantity of the shipment.

As more big future shops close due to China's aggressive posture and unfair dumping of finished wood products undermining the US and CAN jobs you will see deals on pre cut wood surface as the shops clean out the unused machinery and raw goods inorder to pay back the banks controled buy same.

Merry red Xmas Santa.

LG

PCW I just saw your post I see "close out" deals like this alot. http://www.irsauctions.com/?flash=9
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 12-03-2009 at 11:22 AM.

The problem with the wood in those pictures, Dan, is that they are so short.
    If that short length is fine, I'll be you get those for a steal.

My guy can do almost any length, and any width, so 14.25 x .79 would be fine for him to produce.

If I have him glue up maple, should it be hard maple or soft maple?
    I know hard maple, is more expensive than Oak.

I think he could do Red Oak for $2.30/BF, and White Oak for $2.80/BF, for the raw lumber.

+ 85 cents per linear foot (final length, regardless of # of pieces used) for gluing.
    + planing, for 6 cents per square foot, per side.
    + sanding, for 15 cents per square foot, per side.

By the way, I think he also produces a lot of thin stock 1/4". Might not be an interest in carving thin stock...but perhaps cut-outs?

How do those prices look, gang?

Default Glue-ups

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleCove View Post
    How do those prices look, gang?
    Pretty good to me!
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

have him glue up maple, should it be hard maple or soft maple?
    I like soft.

As far as the length goes as to price, if Dan came up with 8/4 13.25 x 18.50 or longer and it was good deal that OK 2.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 12-03-2009 at 11:14 AM.

Chief,

I have a buddy thats also a pattern maker that has his own sawmill , I just got a 5' x 10" x 1.5 piece of walnut that he cut down and milled himself .

Your are close buy maybe we can hook up.

I paid $40.00 for the walnut .

Michael

We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it .
    Michael
    WA8MCI

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    As far as the length goes as to price, if Dan came up with 8/4 13.25 x 18.50 or longer and it was good deal that OK 2.
    Sorry, but I'm not understanding....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast