Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 16 Bit Patterns

Default 16 Bit Patterns

I have noticed some patterns now are labeled as 16 bit. What does that mean for the CW software that came with the CW ?

The older versions of Designer software where 8 bit current version is 16 bit. This is a reactively new and was only released a couple months ago.

Short answer more detail and end result a better carve.

Thanks for the quick reply, Dan and Seasons Greetings !

Default 8 bit vs 16 bit

Post removed due to copywrite complaint from the site it was copied from. Search "8 bit vs 16" bit in google to find the explanation.
    Thanks,
    CarveWright Staff
    Last edited by jlovchik; 05-01-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: copywrite complaint

I have yet see any proof that old designer only ran in 8 bit as far as i know it always used more the 256 colors. sometimes a alpha Chanel is added to the raster allowing for a extra 8 bits for z depth, masking or even licensing. But since you could always load a PNG 32 bit image i doubt the program only recognized 256 ever.

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 11-28-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Previously all patterns were ONLY 8-bit, no doubt about it. Color images that were imported are basically converted to 8-bit grey scale.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Default you have proof?

I seem to remember that the programmers had told us it was more internally.

How do you explain 32 bit PNG's and BMP's? Designer is merging mutable 256 rasters? this would be hard to do only in 256 color space.

Are you saying that PNG 32 is only using color zero in the first color resister like in a old video game? " I worked with 256 game pallets back in the day using Voxels and tables.. what exactly is designer doing to the image thats new is it using 32K color space?

As far as i know the extra is just for copy protection. The old designer would read BMP's PNG's with different removals of the background needed for complex pattern making.

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 11-28-2009 at 01:38 PM.

LG the old patterns were only 8-bit there is no doubt about it. I even told you that images with color channels were converted to an 8-bit gray scale. Not they are converted to a 16-bit gray scale. That is how it is, believe it or not!

So your saying Designer is still only using 256 colors? why the 16 bit? is it now better I see no change?

Care to answer my questions about 32 bit alpha in old Designer? color zero?

just wondering now if the 32 PNG and BMP stuff will not work anymore 2 after the 1.150 improvements.

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 11-28-2009 at 01:58 PM.

So your saying Designer is still only using 256 colors? why the 16 bit? is it now better I see no change?
    NO, that is what you have been saying.

I have said the same thing all along .

Patterns used to be 8-bit, even if you imported a 32-bit 4-channel image (3-colors + alpha) it got converted to 8-bit gray scale. Now patterns are 16-bit grayscale. That is about 64 times the resolution.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast