Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Come on gang...use that "Title" line of your posts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Azbear View Post
    I know I am running low on my patients level try to locate something I read some time back and have to find it again...maybe I'll just start to copy and store the entry in my personal files from now on...

The "search" only works if one has all of that time.
    Can you share some of the keywords you looking for? So far I have had little trouble finding the appropriate post I was lookin for when using the search feature. Tell us what you looking for..im sure someone will remember where it is at.

Doug Fletcher
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 12-01-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Default Search v/s Subscribe v/s Bookmark

Quote Originally Posted by Azbear View Post
    I know I am running low on my patients level try to locate something I read some time back and have to find it again...maybe I'll just start to copy and store the entry in my personal files from now on...

The "search" only works if one has all of that time.
    There are at least three ways that may be used rather that building "Copies" of particular Forum threads.
    1) A single post, within a thread, may be selected by clicking on the "Post Number" close to the upper Right corner of the post.
    This will bring up just that post. You may then Add that post to your "Favorites/Bookmark List".
    (You may also Highlight this new address, Copy it, and Paste it, into any post you wish).
    2) You may Add a Thread to your Favorites/Bookmark List, and refer to it as in option #1 above.
    3) You may "Subscribe" to any Thread you wish and be notified, via eMail, of each new posting to that Thread.
    NOTE: In #1 & #2, above, You may name the Favorite/Bookmark as you like, thus making it more meaningful to yourself.

You may, also Un-subscribe from any thread you wish.
    AskBud
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meaningful Title.JPG  
    Last edited by AskBud; 12-01-2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Note Added, and Attachment added, Location corrected
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Excellent tips, Bud. Thank you for your input!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    1) A single post, within a thread, may be selected by clicking on the "Post Number" close to the upper Left corner.
    I think you meant the monitor's left. From here, it's on my right.

Default Correction

Quote Originally Posted by hogiewan View Post
    I think you meant the monitor's left. From here, it's on my right.
    I stand corrected! It is on the Right.
    Thanks, AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleCove View Post
    Gang, seriously....when you post up here, we are allowed a lot of characters in the title of the posting.

SO USE IT !!

Check out these titles:

Lithopane
    Centerline
    Can a....
    Pricing
    Pom
    draft

(those are actual titles of postings up here. You'd swear people are low on screen ink!)

Those tell us nothing, unless we open the post and read it. Having a full, and explanatory title, of the subject of your posting allows the rest of us to search and find it in the future, and encourages us to open and read it, if it's on-topic.
    I agree with you, I am on many forums and if the subject line is like the examples you show I ignore the post, it allows you plenty of space to write a good subject so why not use it.

It's like some craigslist adds, you could type a page of info but some people just put one sentence, no picture, and never respond when you email them, why even post it then?

And putting something in the title when responding I have never done, I don't really know why that is even there.

Even though I sold my CW I still follow the forum, you never know when I will buy another CW.
    Kurt

Default I'm addicted. Support group anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
    And putting something in the title when responding I have never done, I don't really know why that is even there.
    I think this is what the original poster was referring to. I normally don't put any text in the title when replying unless I think it is important then I will.

I agree that if you start a new tread it should have some pertinent information in the title. Doing so will not only help you now but will also help someone down the road find a solution to a problem.

Yes I read every post and I'm addicted. Support group anyone?

Thanks, Dan and Kurt...

It's good to see others that see the importance of creating threads up here with good, valid titles. I'm surprised how many seem to disagree with me, and act like it's no big deal. And others that act like we all should be reading every post anyway!!

It might be "just be a forum"...as Fletcher said, but how hard is it to start with a meaningful title, that can make our forum more usable for everyone else? The resistance to do so, amazes me.

Regardless, like the Mod replied with, he's tried more than once to water the horses, but he can't even lead them to the watering hole !

Quote Originally Posted by PCW View Post
    I think this is what the original poster was referring to.

No, he means the original poster should write a good description in the subject, not just "for sale" for example, it should say something like "Bits for sale" or "Signs for sale"
    Kurt

copied from paint.net(forum)"THE RULES"
    4) You must make sense. Tiping lyk thz iz n0t kewl.

5) You only need one exclamation ! or question mark ? It's really obnoxious when people post like this: "How do I do this ??????????????????" or "That's awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" C'mon people. We get the point just as well if you only use 1 or 2. Thanks.

6) Thread titles must be descriptive and specific -- NOT generic. You need to use descriptive thread titles. The following are examples of thread titles that are NOT ALLOWED:

"Help"
    "Please help"
    "I need help"
    "Can you help"
    "HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!" (if you post like this you WILL be banned)
    "Tutorial request"
    "Feature request"
    "Plugin request"
    "Looking for..."
    "Looking for a tutorial / feature / plugin"
    "Can Paint.NET do this" ('this' is complete ambiguous here)
    "I'm a newbie"
    "Hello"
    "I'm new"
    also, putting "HELP!" in any title is also not allowed, it's really quite obnoxious. We know you want help, that's why you're posting in the first place.
    etc.
    This pollutes the forum with generic threads and makes it impossible to navigate. Imagine if everyone posted with thread titles like this and we had pages full of "Help!!", "Please help", "Please I'm a newbie" or even "Hi" or "Pony" ... it would be stupid. Just like you should be doing with e-mail, write your subject line for the recipient, not the sender. Read here for more detailed info: http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archi ... 88858.aspx (btw, Raymond Chen's blog is excellent, and I recommend reading as much of it as you can!). Here's the important part: from now on, threads with generic titles will be locked and/or deleted. Without warning. This rules posting is your warning.
    http://www.teapartypatriots.org/
    all tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast