Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Dust Collection - the final answer

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I have a Jet 650 cfm Dust collector with a Dust Dog canister filter that replaces the cloth bag. I have tried a couple of the homemade dust collector versions that I downloaded from here on the forum and they worked pretty good. I then purchased the sheet metal one from Ringneck blues. It worked VERY good. Then Erwin Products came out with the Dust Devil. Since it was molded all in one piece I had to try it. As it turns out, I had to make a few modifications like closing up the sides to direct the vacuum more towards the board. This worked very well also but, the dust collector form Ringneck Blues did seem to work a little better right out of the box. So that's the one I use.
    Steve,

Thanks for the testimonial and the comparison of the other versions!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Just my opinion,
    The RingNeckBlues is simple to install very good quality actualy works great, cheaper than doing it yourself. I would suggest just get one so you can get back to the fun stuff quicker not cleaning up as much and easier on machine. Hope this helps

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I have a Jet 650 cfm Dust collector with a Dust Dog canister filter that replaces the cloth bag. I have tried a couple of the homemade dust collector versions that I downloaded from here on the forum and they worked pretty good. I then purchased the sheet metal one from Ringneck blues. It worked VERY good. Then Erwin Products came out with the Dust Devil. Since it was molded all in one piece I had to try it. As it turns out, I had to make a few modifications like closing up the sides to direct the vacuum more towards the board. This worked very well also but, the dust collector form Ringneck Blues did seem to work a little better right out of the box. So that's the one I use.

Steve,

I seen your post on the CarveWright forum regarding my dust hood vs Ringnecks and I want to let you know from my records you have one of the original Erwin Products dust hoods based on your order date of 4-28-12.
    The original units had the extension attached with wing nuts. A couple weeks after your order I completely redesigned the extension (Version C) adding a piece to the front to reduce the opening and greatly increase the air velocity near the cutter. The new version C extension is attached with snap fasteners allowing the extension to be removed and reinstalled in seconds with no tools or loose fasteners allowing for completely open access for bit changes or using the scanning probe. The new unit greatly improved performance and I am sure it now works as well as any on the market.
    I want you to know I will send anyone who purchased one of the original units the parts to upgrade to the version C free of charge all I ask is to pay $10.00 to cover shipping Priority mail. Installing the new parts will take less than 2 minutes using the existing tapped holes in the machine.

Erwin
    ERWIN PRODUCTS
    DUST DEVIL
    417-449-7760
    http://www.erwinproducts.com/erwin_products_004.htm

Well, I like to build stuff, so I made my own. This is my second iteration. The first was a bit boxy and used a 3" hose. Then I became a believer in smooth airflow in the nozzle, so I adapted a version from earlier in this thread, and made this one with a 4" hose. Everything was made from materials that I had on hand, including the hose connector that came with my dust collector IIRC. The wood parts were leftover scraps. The .mpcs are attached. I cut the lip out with my saw after carving, but you could draw a rectangle around it and cut it out with the CarveWright. I think the pictures should be sufficient to instruct on assembly. The parts are not perfect; I did a little sanding and hand shaping, such as the flare on the inside of the side parts, but not much. The sheet metal is thin aluminum. There are no complex curves; it is really easy to bend. For the lower part, I clamped the end of the sheet metal into my wood vice with a dowel across the edge and bent - it's not hard and not too critical. I did apply a strip of aluminum tape to the leading edge of the lower aluminum piece, but it's not really necessary if you bend a little extra and have some tension on that part when you assemble it. This design works quite well and I'm happy with its performance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6305358.JPG 
Views:	226 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	55740 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6305359.JPG 
Views:	216 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	55741 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6305360.JPG 
Views:	221 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	55742

I see I did not get it in the photo, but the nozzle is held in place using the factory threaded holes, a couple of L brackets, and screws. The nozzle sits between the factory holes and is not full width, but this has caused no issue in operation.

dc_lip.mpc
    dc_nozzle.mpc
    dc_sides.mpc
    dc_upper.mpc
    Last edited by DickB; 09-04-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks for sharing the patterns for the dust collector. I've been continplating replacing my shopvac sweeper that I use for the dust collection in the carvewright.

Quote Originally Posted by mcQ View Post
    Steve,

I seen your post on the CarveWright forum regarding my dust hood vs Ringnecks and I want to let you know from my records you have one of the original Erwin Products dust hoods based on your order date of 4-28-12.
    The original units had the extension attached with wing nuts. A couple weeks after your order I completely redesigned the extension (Version C) adding a piece to the front to reduce the opening and greatly increase the air velocity near the cutter. The new version C extension is attached with snap fasteners allowing the extension to be removed and reinstalled in seconds with no tools or loose fasteners allowing for completely open access for bit changes or using the scanning probe. The new unit greatly improved performance and I am sure it now works as well as any on the market.
    I want you to know I will send anyone who purchased one of the original units the parts to upgrade to the version C free of charge all I ask is to pay $10.00 to cover shipping Priority mail. Installing the new parts will take less than 2 minutes using the existing tapped holes in the machine.

Erwin
    ERWIN PRODUCTS
    DUST DEVIL
    417-449-7760
    http://www.erwinproducts.com/erwin_products_004.htm

From a April Post. #175997

[QUOTE=mcQ;175997]IN AN EFFORT TO TRULY HAVE THE BEST DUST COLLECTOR ACCESSORY AVAILABLE FOR THE CARVEWRIGHT MACHINES, I HAVE NOW ADDED AN REMOVABLE EXTENSION TO THE ERWIN PRODUCTS DUST HOOD. THIS NEW EXTENSION PLACES THE INTAKE VERY CLOSE TO THE CUTTER PROVIDING GREATLY IMPROVED PERFORMANCE WHEN USING SMALLER DUST COLLECTORS OR WHEN CUTTING DIFFICULT MATERIALS SUCH AS PVC SIGN BOARD AND IS EASILY REMOVED FOR BIT CHANGES, ALTHOUGH BITS CAN BE CHANGED WITHOUT REMOVAL. THIS EXTENSION IS INCLUDED WITH ALL NEW ORDERS AND HAS BEEN SENT FREE OF CHARGE TO EVERYONE WHO HAS PURCHASED A UNIT. ALSO, REQUIRES NO ADDITIONAL MODIFICATION TO THE MACHINE, THE UNIT MOUNTS TO THE EXISTING THREADED HOLES WITH TWO 4mm SCREWS INCLUDED.

http://www.erwinproducts.com

Every post you make on this forum is to make money from us. All 13 posts.

You are also very sensitive to any bad press or if someone uses another collector.

We all make choices to purchase by what we read and find. I am just pointing out conflicting information.

The right thing to do if it were "MY" Business would be to send them free as posted in April.

Shipping is a Tax Deductible item on your Business Taxes so you won't really be out the money.

Good Luck,

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 09-04-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I need to set you straight on this issue, I first released my dust hood back in April without any extension because using my 2hp dust collector I was getting almost total dust collection carving wood and didn't think it was necessary. Only about 6 units were sold before it came to my attention I needed to come up with something so it would preform better with smaller dust collectors. I immediately came up with a solution which was the first extension design which was attached with wing nuts. THIS EXTENSION WAS SENT FREE INCLUDING SHIPPING TO THOSE FIRST CUSTOMERS WITHOUT ASKING. The Version C upgrade is a further refinement of the original extension and is now attached using the quick release snap fasteners and also features a part on the front of the extension which increases the air velocity which greatly improved the preformance using smaller dust collectors or a good shop vac. It is the Version C extension I'm offering as a free upgrade to those who recieved the original extensions that were attached with wing nuts. The only thing I ask is for them to pay shipping and no I am not making any money asking $10.00 for shipping, this is about the average cost to ship Priority mail depending on location. If you feel better I will ship the upgrade package for actual cost of shipping. When is the last time anyone offered a free upgrade on anything you purchased?

ERWIN PRODUCTSClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DustDevil_Logo - reduced size.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	55763

[QUOTE=Digitalwoodshop;185167]From a April Post. #175997

Quote Originally Posted by mcQ View Post
    IN AN EFFORT TO TRULY HAVE THE BEST DUST COLLECTOR ACCESSORY AVAILABLE FOR THE CARVEWRIGHT MACHINES, I HAVE NOW ADDED AN REMOVABLE EXTENSION TO THE ERWIN PRODUCTS DUST HOOD. THIS NEW EXTENSION PLACES THE INTAKE VERY CLOSE TO THE CUTTER PROVIDING GREATLY IMPROVED PERFORMANCE WHEN USING SMALLER DUST COLLECTORS OR WHEN CUTTING DIFFICULT MATERIALS SUCH AS PVC SIGN BOARD AND IS EASILY REMOVED FOR BIT CHANGES, ALTHOUGH BITS CAN BE CHANGED WITHOUT REMOVAL. THIS EXTENSION IS INCLUDED WITH ALL NEW ORDERS AND HAS BEEN SENT FREE OF CHARGE TO EVERYONE WHO HAS PURCHASED A UNIT. ALSO, REQUIRES NO ADDITIONAL MODIFICATION TO THE MACHINE, THE UNIT MOUNTS TO THE EXISTING THREADED HOLES WITH TWO 4mm SCREWS INCLUDED.

http://www.erwinproducts.com

Every post you make on this forum is to make money from us. All 13 posts.

You are also very sensitive to any bad press or if someone uses another collector.

We all make choices to purchase by what we read and find. I am just pointing out conflicting information.

The right thing to do if it were "MY" Business would be to send them free as posted in April.

Shipping is a Tax Deductible item on your Business Taxes so you won't really be out the money.

Good Luck,

AL

Erwin, you state the Dust Devil is good at "getting almost total dust collection carving wood". How does it do with the difficult stuff, like Corian, PVA, Lexan and HDpoly? These materials leave those big chips that don't move very easily? Does anyone have a comparisn of Floyd's or Erwin's to the any of the other DC hoods on this type of material? Any thoughts on Dan's dust cup for these???

Thnx, Joe

Plea of Insanity for Addiction to ol' H-D Sporters

I haven't cut any Corian or PVC board with my latest nozzle, so I can't speak to that. Dan reported good results with his dust cap, but I found it impossible to fit one on a machine with the CarveTight with the recommended longer screw and added washer. While it would be nice to get the big chips out, to my way of thinking that is not essential from a longevity standpoint. It is the fine dust that covers the board sensor, finds its way into the optical encoders, clogs up the bearings, and causes problems.

Joe,
    I have cut quite a bit of PVC sign board with good results and PVC is very difficult because it tends to cling to everything, even making a couple cuts with a saw and it will be clinging to everything in sight. I haven't personally carved any Corian yet, although it is on my list to try as I want to do a lithograph, I have had some customers reporting good results carving Corian. I'm not sure about the other plastics although Lexan and poly can have a tendency to melt. Regardless of what dust hood you go with I would recommend a 2 hp 1500 cfm dust collector the Harbor Freight unit runs on 120 V and if you watch for sales can be purchased for under $200.00 and the American Woodworker magazine I picked up at the show has a coupon that you can buy this unit for $150.00 through 9-10-12 I can mail you mine but will have to hurry to make it before the 10th. The 2hp unit still has a small footprint only 22" x 33" and is on casters so it can be rolled around the shop. Also, if you have other equipment such as a planer you will need the larger unit, I have a 20" planer and my 2hp Grizzly does an excellent job where a smaller portable dust collector I am sure would almost immediately plug up and even if it worked the bag would be full in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by kool69sporty View Post
    Erwin, you state the Dust Devil is good at "getting almost total dust collection carving wood". How does it do with the difficult stuff, like Corian, PVA, Lexan and HDpoly? These materials leave those big chips that don't move very easily? Does anyone have a comparisn of Floyd's or Erwin's to the any of the other DC hoods on this type of material? Any thoughts on Dan's dust cup for these???

Thnx, Joe

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast