Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dust Collection - the final answer

I've attached a few pics of my shop DC system. I use a 1 hp Seco UFO-90 DC and 4" pvc pipe for an overhead system with three drop-downs to connect to the Carvewright, radial arm saw, planer, drum sander and table saw. Due to limited space I have my Carvewright, planeer and durm sander on rollers -- they are not connected to the vacuum system until I'm ready to use them. The radial arm saw is stationary and is connected to the DC all the time. I have cut-off dampers at each drop-down so I can get full vacuum at each site by cutting the other dampers on and off as necessary. My system has three drop downs with a damper on the end which then are extended using flexible dryer aluminum ducting that is connected to the individual equipment. For static electric control I found 18 guage copper wire at Home Depot and screwed 1/2" self-drive sheet metal screws every six inches on the pvc piping and wound the wire around the pvc and screws, tightened the screws. The wire is grounded onto a wter pipe. At the dampers I used an extra lenght of wire towrap around the alumimum flexible hose and clamp on the piece of equipment as I attached them to a vacuum drop.

I had originally planned to have a downdraft system and had already cut a slot in the table that the Carvewright sat on. I ran across Ringneckblues DC adapter on the forum and after getting it I decided to junk the idea of a downdraft but decided to leave the slot open to see what would happen. The Ringneckblues worked so well that I just left the slot open. I think it probably helps some beacuse of a greater flow of air from the bottom.

I spent an entire year before building the above system trying to keep the Carvewright clear of dust but with no success no matter how hard I tried -- and I did try to keep the CW clean. I spent more time cleaning and repairing than I did in carving. The QC is a natural dust colleter and the inability to keep it completely free from all dust caused z-truck and y-truck bearing failure due to putting extra pressuer on the bit adapter removal tool when trying to get the bit and adapter out of the QC. The Rock and Rigneckblues cleared those problems up and its been clear sailing for the past five months.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DC Sys [DVD (PAL)].JPG   Clear [DVD (PAL)].JPG   CW Dust 2 [DVD (PAL)].JPG   CW DC [DVD (PAL)].JPG  

Shotgun,
    I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the Rock Chuck... I see you made yourself a little reminder about the bit orientation!

Happy Carving,

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Shotgun,

Well done design of your DC system for your shop! Thanks for sharing the pictures and the results of having the insert!!

Happy carving!!!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default New Way?

Okay well I have been looking at all sorts of designs for dust collection for the CW on the forum, and I have thought of something a little different. After looking over my machine and dust collector last night why hasn't anyone just drilled/bored a hole in the clear cover and used a flexible tubing coming from above to attach directly to the machine? The cover through CW is only $22 with $12 shipping. So I was thinking of trying it, but before I did I wanted to see what everyone else thought first.

To test it a bit I just placed my dust collector outside of the machine near the feed belt and it sucks a lot out as it is. Obviously it would not work there I just thought a simple hole with homemade bracket would allow for upward suction without the mounted systems like posted on here. Any thoughts or experiences with this would be appreciated. I am really sick of vacuuming out my machine every ten to fifteen minutes to make sure it's clean.
    CHECK OUT MY SITE/BLOG!
    WWW.MANCAVECARVINGS.COM

Default Vacuum

Quote Originally Posted by CSPURGEON View Post
    Okay well I have been looking at all sorts of designs for dust collection for the CW on the forum, and I have thought of something a little different. After looking over my machine and dust collector last night why hasn't anyone just drilled/bored a hole in the clear cover and used a flexible tubing coming from above to attach directly to the machine? The cover through CW is only $22 with $12 shipping. So I was thinking of trying it, but before I did I wanted to see what everyone else thought first.

To test it a bit I just placed my dust collector outside of the machine near the feed belt and it sucks a lot out as it is. Obviously it would not work there I just thought a simple hole with homemade bracket would allow for upward suction without the mounted systems like posted on here. Any thoughts or experiences with this would be appreciated. I am really sick of vacuuming out my machine every ten to fifteen minutes to make sure it's clean.
    Yes, it might work. However, you need to be sure that the cover can not be pulled out of place by your tubing or the force of the air movement.

There are some threads that show similar ideas as yours.

I tested several different possibilities prior to listing my final "CW-Vacuum Head Project" in the store (check my signature below). It maintains the "Safety" features and does a good job. Your Dust Collector system should be 600 CFM or better to move the air properly.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

6. Wink PDF Files Revised

I have uploaded some new PDF files to replace the previous ones. Thanks to Paul Joseph for spotting an error and an omission. Hopefully these did not confuse anyone when they tried to make it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dust_Collector_bottom.pdf   Dust_Collector_side.pdf   Dust_Collector_front.pdf   Dust_Collector_top.pdf  

Frederick Potter
    Editions by Frederick
    http://www.editionsbyfrederick.com

Keep 98% of the dust out of your machine with this free dust collector:
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...e-final-answer

I definitely like the idea. I think the only way it could be easier and almost fool proof would be to have pieces cut out for all to see.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Attachment 38755Attachment 38754Here's my DC that I made from Frederick's plans.....I started making it over the past weekend and wouldn't you know it, I get hit with a cold.....so sorry I didn't get these up sooner, Frederick thanks again for all you imput and more importantly thank you for sharing your knowledge.....if anyone needs help building Fredericks design, don't hesitate to contact me for help.....my way of playing it forward.

Paul

attachments didn't show up............
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

I am still looking for someone to build it and sell. I want to put in an order now!

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast