Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carvewright dust collection in less than a minute

Default Carvewright dust collection in less than a minute

Fast idea BUT how much does it really pick up?
    Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

I can tell you right now with a good collector it will work fantastic. With a shop vac probably pretty good.

I tried this with a Festool CT 33 and the machine was virtually dust free after hours of carving.

I hate the hose and the mods to the clear shield so I went with a 4" port off the side and hooked into my big dust collector, the machine stays 99.9 % dust free.

I think this video shows the fastest, cheapest way that is actually effective.

One remark: a regular shop vac may or may not work well depending on name brand, filter used and model. With a Fein or Festool vac this method works well. I am not sure about a regular run of the mill shop vac as I do not have one.

By golly that is simple and easy! So Seabass you have tried and it works! With Ask Bud DC you need to modify the cover. I have a wider vac tool and I might just give it a try! I can't see drilling a hole in the cover will effect any mechanical function.

Ike

Yes, I have tried a similar method but my hole was not centered. I figured becasue I only used about 8" that off to the left would be better for me. Now with being in the POM I use wider stuff so center may be best.

I bought some covers and side pieces off ebay and experiment with those so I still have non modified pieces to put back if I do not like the results. For me the 4" off the side(hole cut into the side) is the best way as nothing is in my way. The kids like to look through the plastic cover so I got away from the mods that worked through the cover and over the extension tables, they just aggravated me(the mods, not the kids, well sometimes the kids).

Quote Originally Posted by seabass View Post
    Yes, I have tried a similar method but my hole was not centered. I figured becasue I only used about 8" that off to the left would be better for me. Now with being in the POM I use wider stuff so center may be best.

I bought some covers and side pieces off ebay and experiment with those so I still have non modified pieces to put back if I do not like the results. For me the 4" off the side(hole cut into the side) is the best way as nothing is in my way. The kids like to look through the plastic cover so I got away from the mods that worked through the cover and over the extension tables, they just aggravated me(the mods, not the kids, well sometimes the kids).
    Seabass you say the kids, are you a shop teacher? I am thinking of trying this system. I have a piece on my planer that allows to connect a 4" or shop vac hose. I might try a end piece of a shop vac hose connected to an attachment and glue it in place if needed. Then I can use the converter and try my Delta DC or my Fein Vac.

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by seabass View Post

seabass... I woud love to see any pics you might have of your setup. I am still am only using a downdraft setup currently, but am getting close to tasking a dice it to a more substantial DC system for the carvewrights. I'm not sure I follow when you are syaing you are putting a hole in the side.

Doug Fetcher

If he had said Energizer Oy I would have fell outta my chair
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Doug, Ken has a side hole in his CW and a great DC system. Try a search od "dust collectors" and find Ken's thread he has posted photos and a full descripition.

Ike

Hi

I am going to put up pics of my CC soon. There are a lot of neat mods and I may have gone overboard. I have been waiting until I am all done so everyone can make their remarks to all of my mods. My machine is a combo of computer parts and a CC and I will be excited to show it off upon completion, maybe a week or so when the last part comes in..

I did get the idea for side dust collection from here. The picture shows PVC elbow going down through the table, The 4" PVC is connected to the side of the machine.

I did mine differently, but to the side of the machine with a 4" fitting..

Promise pics soon...
    Last edited by seabass; 11-06-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast