Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 changing computer serial number

Default Windows 7 changing computer serial number

I had to upgrade to windows 7 due to computer problems. Since then the carvewright program say trial period had expired and need to register. I try to and carvewright says there are no product keys associated with this computer. and it gives me a completely different serial number associated with this computer. it is the same comuter. It wont let me register with the new serial number. Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do

No expert.. However, If this was a purchased product (not trial) I would call the tech. support at CarveWright. I had a problem changing to a new laptop. They have to deactivate the old and you can license to the new computer.

I have only called them two or three times and the staff was always very helpful and friendly.

Default W7

swadedvm,

Let us/me know how this comes out, I have W7 ordered.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

This is not a Win 7 problem per se:

The number used to register a computer is generated by looking are various serial numbers, etc reported from the different hardware you have in your PC. Sometimes different driver versions will cause these serial numbers to change so to Designer it 'looks' like a different PC. Same thing scan happen when just updating some drivers.

When you install Win 7 different drivers were loaded so your PC 'looks' different to Designer. I upgraded a machine from Vista to Win 7 and was able to use the same license file. If you upgraded from XP to Win 7 you may have to give CW a call and have then change over your old registration. It only take a few minutes with them on the phone to take care of it.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Default W7

Thanks Jeff,

Although I write applications, I am remarkably dumb in this area.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Hi All
    I updated to windows 7 on Friday, no problems at all, designer came up with the same number and required no change at carvewright.
    Good luck to all who upgrade.
    Be the change you want to see in the world!
    Richard
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I LOVE Win 7, the way the task-bar now works is worth the upgrade just by itself; although I never experienced all the issues everyone else complained about with Vista it never motivated me to upgrade from XP on my main PC. Now I'm sure that I will. When I set down at XP it is a bit disappointing after using Win 7.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Default PC ID number changed

I had the same problem when my PC needed a bios upgrade. The computer ID number changed and was no longer accepted by the designer software. When you try to register or access your license file, you should see a screen that shows your PC ID number. E-mail CW and ask them to correct your license file to show the new number, they will send you an e-mail after changing the number with directions to correct the issue. All your CW features and licenses will thwn be recoginized.

Boy do I feel like a caveman in this section of the forum if I can't heat it and beat it I am pretty much in the dark on everything. I know I was thinking of going W7 but budget is still too thin to do. And now I find out that you have to figure out whether you need 64 or 32 something or other. Totally lost. I am hoping to find a deal on W7 closer to Christmas or shortly after. Maybe someone will return one cause it was the wrong color or size

Okay now I am going back to the Gallery section to look at all the pretty pictures.
    Where is the "Any Key" key located on the keypad
    Growing old is a privilege not everyone gets to enjoy.

Software support will delete the 'Old' registration and this will allow you to register the software again after Win7 is installed.

Windows 7 seems to be a much more stable product than Vista.

I bought the 3 update family pack and put it on all of my machines except my CNC machine and Windows Home Server. The 3 pack allows you to upgrade 3 with the same license key to Home Premium and was 149.00. A much better deal than buying 3 separate Home Premium upgrades.

All is good with Designer software.
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast