Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Joy Tree - Project of the Month

Default The Joy Tree - Project of the Month

Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month - "Joy Tree". This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

Perfect for the holiday season, the finished “Joy Tree” project is approximately 10¼" wide x 14¼" tall. It can be hung on your main entry door or displayed on an interior wall to compliment your holiday decor.

The entire project is carved and cut out with just the two bits that came with your machine, and utilizes just a single board without any “fussy” setups or assembly required.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project File (included): Joy_Tree.mpc

2) One board with the following dimensions: 0.75" x 11.2" x 22"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of each board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) Picture hanger for backside (I just used some green coated picture wire from a craft store, twisted it into a loop, and attached it to the back with a ½”screw. I allowed the loop to extend beyond the top a little so my Joy Tree could be hung from a small nail on my front door.)

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Joy Tree made from Select Pine wood...

Finish Details:
    One very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat
    (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)

Sanded again with fine sandpaper and 3M wheels

Cabot-brand Stain (Brown Mahogany #8134)

Several coats of Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic Satin. I spot-sanded some areas with 400-grit wet/dry sandpaper between coats.

Applied Krylon 18K Gold Leaf Pen to the letters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joy_Tree_480x644_finished_with_GoldLeaf.jpg   Door_Front.jpg   Door_Closeup.jpg   Wire_Hanger.jpg  

Apply_Gold_Leaf.jpg  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

yeah baby.......... Mike you da man! Come on....... next week so I can get my POM!
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Thumbs up Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael you have once again done a very fine Design-carving and finish on this project.

You are a driving force for this fine CNC-CW/CC machine.

Thank you for all you do for the forum and LHR.

Robert
    rcdages

Michael,

Such a beautiful project for the holiday season, can't wait to get started on it...

Jack

Super Job Michael,
    Wouldn't Expect anything Less!!
    Last edited by Kenm810; 10-29-2009 at 06:43 AM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Thumbs up wow

Once again Michael you did it. I was trying to get into the spirit and I think this will do it. can't wait.
    jim

SUPER COOL!!! I can't wait to get started on this, I see a few getting made for family too!

The POM subscription was probably the best investment I have made in this machine, MT your projects are always fun - and most important I learn something from every one. Thanks for all you do!

Craig

9. Default That...

is awesome, you are the tops Michael T, that will go great with all of the other Christmas stuff that we are working on right now.

Thumbs up

Mike T,

It never gets old Nor ceases to amaze, and I need to get a rubber stamp. "That is the best yet!!" I just finished 15 candy "Leaf" dishes. Was/am pretty damned excited, folks already looking for the sleigh projects. Now this will be added to the Christmas collections. So much for rest over the holidays. Thanks for doing the leg work and keeping this hobby fun!! Owe ya more then (I) can tell ya.
    Bernie :^)

Wisdom has no value unless it's shared.
    Ver. 177 in Test mode Ver.134 in reserve

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast