Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pricing

Quote Originally Posted by dsajon View Post
    I am actually starting to believe I wasn't cutout for the CW/CC nor this forum.

Sincerely
    Can you explain your issues with the forum? I am sure no one has meant any disrespect.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

i didnt mean it that way. that is just way more number crunching than i want to do. i didnt know your numbers wernt to be taken as accurate. your right the sandpaper was in the post, i just forgot about it. i can see you are really excited about the machine and the forum. a lot of excitement actually. sorry if i offended you.
    -Jason

Default price fixing??????

DSAJON I appreciate your appraisal an is prob close to acurate . I never realized the total cost of doing buisness untill my son became an accountant.I retired from a job early, and now doing handyman and remodlingand in our slow econmy it is hard to tell people that I charge 25. doll an hour when most people are making a lot less so I charge by the job and dont mention all my expences as they dont want to hear it ,they want something done that they cant or unqualified to do.[usually the husband introduces me to wife and says give her what she wants I gotta go golfing]I know the are the behind the scenes figures not to be revealed to the customer and they are a good way to see if its feasable to do buisness or keep it a hobby so you got my vote.
    last time i had my car worked on it was like 45.doll an hour plus 8.dol for shop rags....the tire man gets price of tire plu valv stems plus cost to get rid of ole tire plus mount and balance plus maybe next year a tax for national security? .........just rambling an venting .good nite
    denny

Hi Doug
    I would like to thank you for your post.
    My 2 cents.
    People like you, Ike and others, that take the time to type the lengthy informative posts, (IMHO) are what make this forum great.
    My wife and I are about to try our first craft fair, and have been trying to decide what to make and of course how to price what we make, and find these posts of great value. I don’t just read the posts that I find great info in, weather it is pricing or technical, I copy them to word doc for future reference. An informed decision always makes me more comfortable with my final path.
    Before I ramble on for to long, just let me say Thanks again to you and the others that take the time.
    I continue to learn and hope to be able to help others in the future.
    Be the change you want to see in the world!
    Richard
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Default dougs post certainly needs to be read

thanks for the time you put into that. a lot of people that havent been in bussiness wont get it until they are in bussiness for a while. my employees would see the price of each job and just knew i was making a killing they didnt think about uncle sam and a lot of the things you mentioned.

and by the way i've said this befor; a freind of mine got a qoute from a sign company for a 30"x30" sand blasted wood sign with a company name on it.......$2500. when first starting out you tend to sell yourself short and leave a lot of money on the table.

Doug,

Welcome to the CW forum and thanks for the info it's always good to have new view points on a lot of stuff..

Do not forget equipment devaluation as a tax credit.

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 10-25-2009 at 11:53 PM.

My hat is off to all you guys making and trying to make a living with this stuff.

I feel fortunate as a hobbyist, I only have 2 prices....

Friends and family that you can tell truly admire a piece = FREE

People that just want to buy something = A Million Dollars

It sure weeds out the things I don't want to do. I keep telling myself, it's a hobby. As soon as you take money for your work, ITS A BUSINESS.

Not looking for a business, but I have owned them before and feel for you guys. The only advice I can give is not to sell yourself short. If YOU don't value your work, the customer won't either. You can always drop prices if sales are not happening. If those prices drop too low to make it worth your while...it's time to supplement or move on to something else.

Good luck all,
    Craig

8. Default Hey Doug

Lots of Great info and things to think about ... thank you for the time that you spent putting that together.

9. Default

Wow, you put a lot of thought into this Doug. Very impressive.

Simpler:

3-5 times the cost of the material - it's never failed me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast