Thread: Toy Train

Default Toy Train

Here are some toy train pieces that I hacked together last weekend for one of my sons. I imported the image of the engine from a Google search, traced around it with the drawing tools, then deleted the imported image so that I was left with only the drawing. This is a technique I use quite a bit for drawing shapes, as I have absolutely zero actual talent for art. I'm probably more in the negatives really.

I started with a base car for each of the letters, added a text letter with the text tool, sized it appropriately, and traced around it like I did with the engine. The software cannot currently trim an outlined letter, so this technique works well in the meantime. Again, those of you with artistic ability can probably design your own cool letters.

My son's name is Justin, so these are the letters I've completed. Others are pretty straightforward to build on top of the base car.

My bit of advice is to be careful cutting through thick wood (this project defaults to one inch thick -- the maximum the machine can cut). The bit can break if the wood get jammed or if you don't keep it under the rollers. This is another project that makes sense to place a few pieces on a single board so that you minimize waste while keeping the project under both rollers at all times. I also recommend you use softer woods, as this is pretty much a worst-case project for cut-throughs. You'll likely break bits in 1-inch maple or oak, so back off to 3/4" thickness or less if you would rather use something along those lines.

Another bit of advice is that if the machine vibrates badly while cutting then something may be wrong. We've seen a couple of flex shafts go bad recently, so don't hesitate to call if you think something's not right.

Looking back, if I had a decent band saw (which I don't -- mine is junk), then I might have instead lightly traced the outlines with the machine (v-groove bit) and then cut them on the band saw. This is a heck of a lot less wear and tear on the machine for such a silly project. A scroll saw would work well, or even a jig saw in a pinch.

Anyhow, the wheels project is intended for 1/2" thick wood. The holes in the wheels are intended to be a tight fit for a 1/2" diameter dowel -- I didn't need any glue.

CAUTION -- now my other three sons want trains of their own, and my wife wants me to make a caboose. You've been warned.

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picture055_17may06_579.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Britt Yenne
    CarveWright

Hey Britt
    How about doing an inlay project?
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Woodman
    How about doing an inlay project?
    I know a couple people have been working this idea on the forum, but I haven't tried it myself. I'll see what I can put together.
    Britt Yenne
    CarveWright