Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying lumber (ie. wood for dummies)

Default Huh??

I was talking about a couple of places close to little rock that sell end pieces of hardwood. They sell to trim carpenters and the such...

But now i am going to have to find an amish place close so that i too can get the good buys on hardwoods...
    and Cedar and cyprus.....

Default Rough Cut Stock

I just edited post #3 to make clear the I do not run the Rough Cut stock in the CW/CC without getting it milled (Planed & straight).
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Mark and Askbud,

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure I would hav tried to run it thru the cw without planeing it first.

I see there is a big price jump when you go from a 12-13" planer to a 15". Any recomendations?

Doug Fletcher

Default Planer

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    Mark and Askbud,

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure I would hav tried to run it thru the cw without planeing it first.

I see there is a big price jump when you go from a 12-13" planer to a 15". Any recomendations?

Doug Fletcher
    It will depend upon where you want to draw the line(s) in the sand.

Questions to ask yourself:
    Where is your $$ limit?
    How wide will you want to buy rough or thick stock, and plane it yourself, rather that having the Lumber Mill do that job?
    Do you want a unit that the table rises & lowers, or would you rather have the head do that function?

Most mills will plane their stock to your thickness need/wish, at a small fee.
    I have an old Shopsmith 12" planer that the table moves. For my money, I would buy a wider one next time with a moving head. I may depend on how and where you will store and use the unit.
    The newer/better units now come with Spiral/Helical cutters, rather than the 3 or 4 flat blades. My Amish man just refitted his monster planer with the Helical blades (and it cuts like going through butter).

The link below is for $$ and Spec info, not as an endorsement of where to buy.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Search/Sear...x?query=Planer

PS: Your planer will come in handy for you, those times where a project does not carve the way you wish. You may want to plane the board to a thinner thickness for another try/project rather than burning the wood or CW time.
    AskBud
    Last edited by AskBud; 10-15-2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Added thought
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Default go here

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php
    and click on forum extras button at the top. when it pulls down you will see "find a sawyer" this will locate people in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by wasacop75 View Post
    I was talking about a couple of places close to little rock that sell end pieces of hardwood. They sell to trim carpenters and the such...

But now i am going to have to find an amish place close so that i too can get the good buys on hardwoods...
    and Cedar and cyprus.....
    Hey WC

I just made a trip to North AR in Flippen the saw mill in town be hind the old wall mart has a great price I got about 250 ft of Walnut for 30. a load of Oak as big as a small car for 50

Cherry about have the size of rhe oak for 35
    All the cuts off I wanted for free they burn them

Also went to Akansawer near Yellvile and got Cedar and Hickory lots of stuff I dont know what it is
    I filled a U Haul 12 ft up to the top for less than 350 total between the mill and the uh.. Not a smart thing to do dam near used the brakes up coming home out of the hills just to Conway. 4 hr drive for you 12 from here still saved big bucks. A guy that runs the mill here saw the stuff said it would have been near 3k here

Now you need a planner as it is 1inch + thick

Ther is another on Hy 14 cutting across at Leslie to yellvile an a turn to the right after the Buffalo river

I was going to stop and get some stuff from BJB back I was full before I knew it

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    Mark and Askbud,

Doug Fletcher

I have a Rigid 13" planer and a Craftsman 6" bench top jointer. They do a pretty good job. I wish the jointer was larger for flattening wider stock, but it works well for the CC/CW. I do not use wide material for the CC/CW. I usually make wider pieces out of two or three smaller pieces. I do this for a couple of reasons. Wide material cost more and has a greater risk of warping. By jointing two or three pieces together you can use up your scrap pieces, it is easier to flatten and square smaller pieces, and it has added stability. Good luck.
    Mark
    www.pineacreswoodshop.com
    Home of Thorpe Custom Acoustic Guitars and Baddass Electrics

Default help

hesstx

There is also a couple over by jonesboro someplace and there is a mill near searcy. i need to call them and see what they have.

i am going to have to take a road trip one of these days and see what i can find up that way.

i do have the dewalt 12 1/2 inch plane but still new in the box. i am trying to find a couple acres with a 30x40 shop or so
    wife wants her garage back and i am tired of putting things up and taking them down every weekend..

wasacop, I can email you a phone # of a guy in benton that can get you any type of wood you want and reasonably priced, i get a lot of cypress from him. he has walnut, cherry, cedar.
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by wasacop75 View Post
    hesstx

There is also a couple over by jonesboro someplace and there is a mill near searcy. i need to call them and see what they have.

i am going to have to take a road trip one of these days and see what i can find up that way.

i do have the dewalt 12 1/2 inch plane but still new in the box. i am trying to find a couple acres with a 30x40 shop or so
    wife wants her garage back and i am tired of putting things up and taking them down every weekend..
    I have the same planner and you will be very happy with what it will handle.

Cant tell you how many hundreds of ft I have planes and only had to trun the blades once. I got an extra set but still in the pack. The trick is dont rush it.

I got all my crap on rollers that way just move it around as to what I need

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast