Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dust collection

Default Pictures page 1

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    I was looking for some pictures of the unit and of the unit installed to learn from your design choice and weight the merits of purchasing 2 units from you or making 2 of my own design.

I am still dragging around my idea of making a collection shoe that attach's to the truck and is tethered to the center of the machine and the hose dragged left and right sucking up chips at the source....

I think a more conservative design around a shoe would let my dust collection be more effective letting me collect from 3 machines on one 2 HP collector. With my design I tried collecting from 2 machines at the same time and got poor results...

AL
    Here are some of my pictures of the DC- Insert. You will notice on the last one of the thumb screw hold down the other metal strap. That was my first design for the locking system. It worked good but the thumb screw does a better job.

More pictures on next post..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3274 (Small).jpg   100_3275 (Small).jpg   100_3278 (Small).jpg   100_3288 (Small).jpg  

100_3302 (Large).jpg  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default Pictures page 2

these are side views of the insert. Please note this is the unit I have on my machine.
    Just learned that I do not have any pictures of the new design.

This design does not by pass any of the built in safety features of the machine, meaning the door switches to stop the cut motor and the z/y movement.

The bent over lip locks over the edge of the upper tray that is above the compression roller. all of the seams are taped with foil duct tape..

The ones I am selling actually are enclosed more at the in take to give it more of a nozzle effect. When I get another one made I will update this post and my web site.
    Or if anyone who has one would like to post some pictures please do.

Any other questions let me know!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3281 (Small).jpg   100_3282 (Small).jpg   100_3283 (Small).jpg   100_3285 (Small).jpg  

Last edited by fwharris; 10-13-2009 at 11:58 PM.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Hey Al
    I have a 2 hp says it is pulling over 1500 cfm have both units on a dd with 4 in hose and anther going to the hoods on a 4 inch and all I can say is they work well

I been doing corain for the last 2 weeks dust left cannot be much there is a bit thrown out the front on the floor but just a tad

I decided to add a bit of brush like stuff at a sl an gal near the pickup hole in the hood that seemed to even pull better until the hood sucked it up

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    these are side views of the insert. Please note this is the unit I have on my machine.
    Just learned that I do not have any pictures of the new design.

This design does not by pass any of the built in safety features of the machine, meaning the door switches to stop the cut motor and the z/y movement.

The bent over lip locks over the edge of the upper tray that is above the compression roller. all of the seams are taped with foil duct tape..

The ones I am selling actually are enclosed more at the in take to give it more of a nozzle effect. When I get another one made I will update this post and my web site.
    Or if anyone who has one would like to post some pictures please do.

Any other questions let me know!!!
    Question.............
    I notice that you glued the "cut off" cover piece back on the cover. Is that necessary or is there a benefit to doing that?
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Thank You everyone for the pictures.. And Video....

I was very impressed with the GwizPro concept of using the machine metal as the other side of the collector..... I made a bottom and cut a notch in the bottom to fit over the slit... I loose vacuum even with the foam at the slit.... I like your design better.....

I also will give serious thought to operating the machine with the top plastic cover off.... Being a little A... retentive about safety and having had the QC "THROW" a bit, I never gave it a thought about operating it without the cover.... With the ROCK that wil never happen again...

I was already planning to wall mount the machine and remove the cut motor and install it in a metal box letting the fan pull air into the box to cool it and cut down on the noise with a muffler. Mounting the motor so the flex just hangs in the center and forward of the machine reducing the stress on the flex. I will use the collector to draw air from the electronic compartment for cooling.

GREAT IDEAS...... Thanks FW and GwizPro....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by chebytrk View Post
    Question.............
    I notice that you glued the "cut off" cover piece back on the cover. Is that necessary or is there a benefit to doing that?
    Jerry,

It is not necassary, I just thought it was better than throwing it away or having it laying around and getting in the way.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Thank You everyone for the pictures.. And Video....

I was very impressed with the GwizPro concept of using the machine metal as the other side of the collector..... I made a bottom and cut a notch in the bottom to fit over the slit... I loose vacuum even with the foam at the slit.... I like your design better.....

GREAT IDEAS...... Thanks FW and GwizPro....

AL
    Al,

No problem on the pictures!! Good thing you asked as it showed me that I need to get some pictures of the actual unit.

I thought about using the top tray for the bottom of the collector also, but in doing my research for the design I read your comments about the sealing issue. Based on that I just went with making the insert with the bottom. I have also seen that a lot of the carvers do not have the high volume dust collectors like a large wood shop would have. I would guess that a lot of the "hobbyist" guys use units that are 500 to 1000 cfm and might not be able to get enough suction to hold it in place while running a down draft with the insert.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

FW,

Good Points and GREAT Pictures. I have blocked off half of my lower slot collection with a piece of tin and collect mostly from the top.

This has given me food for thought... In the wall mount I will have a blast gate and just use the bottom for machine cleaning.

Thanks again,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default Thanks everybody...

I just finished setting up my machine for serious carving yesterday. I have played with it a bit without dust collection and using the QC. Now I have installed the RC, built the dust collector shown by gwizpro(THANKS!), and built a rolling stand for the machine and dust collector. I work in my garage and need to "change" things around often. I also did the epoxy stops on my bits thanks to another post on here as well. Everything works great.

This forum ROCKS! So much info - thank you everybody who contributes! My little setup works VERY well now and is portable if need be.

Anyhow, here are some pics!

Cheers!
    Darrin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stand.jpg   dust-collector.jpg   wheel.jpg  
    ROCKin' with my Dust Collector - Get the mpc here
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ve-it-yourself

Thumbs up

Darrin,

Looks like you are off to a great start. Good job

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast