Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas is Coming....

1. Default Christmas is Coming....

Did this from a scroll saw pattern using the 1/16th cutting bit. It is about 7 inches in dia. and is cut from 1/8th baltic birch ply. I will add some detail with a paint pen tomorrow.

Christmas is around the corner..................

download mpc - http://www.mediafire.com/file/jnmjmmknvyw/angel ornament.mpc
    Last edited by LittleRedWoodshop; 09-21-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: added mpc file

Default Christmas

Isnt it nice that this machine will carve scroll saw patterns?

And I am sure that the ROCK didnt hurt it any.

Great job. (as always)

how do you hold that in the machine?
    also does it use safety tabs to hold the cutouts in place while it cutting?

thanks dvel56

4. Default Good Questions....

I use a piece of 1/2 inch mdf that is cut the same size as the baltic birch that I am cutting. I use packing tape and just tape the edges togther.

Tabs: The machine will automatically leave tabs on the piece as it cuts.... some of the smaller pieces cut loose but they are very small and have caused no issues.

Download more scroll saw patterns HERE - Also check out http://www.mediafire.com/cncartguild for more files (STL, MPC, PTN, etc...) and CarveWright info.
    Last edited by LittleRedWoodshop; 09-21-2009 at 11:32 PM.

5. Default I will have new......

ornaments to show this evening... see you then, I'm off to the shop.

The addition of the 1/16 inch bit is really a great thing for us.... I tried the 1/8 inch cutting bit with the QC to cut my 1/8 inch name tag plastic. The Bit Fluter of the QC and the aggressive nature of the 1/8 bit made for a un smooth edge and the lifting effect of the bit... Switching to the ROCK and the 1/16 inch bit was the trick.... I used a 1/16 end mill designed for plastic name tag engravers and cut the 6 inch shaft down to a CW length.

I think there are great opportunities for the pattern depot for cut out Christmas ornaments.... I was at a Craft Show 2 years ago and a Scroll Saw guy had some really great patterns... He was quick and defensive when I mentioned that a Laser Engraver could cut out the patterns with ease.... He quickly shot back that the laser leaves a brown and burnt edge... And he is correct.... The CW could do scroll saw "like" cuts without the labor and drilling holes in the blank and threading the blade through the hole 50 times and hour.... WOW....

So making the cut path .mpc would be easy.... Bring in the picture of the design into as a pattern and place it on a 14 x 14 board making it BIG.....

Then with the line tools trace the lines making all the cut paths... Save it and shrink it down to 4 inches and assign the 1/16 bit. I would not use the cut path... I would use the assign bit and when selecting the 1/16 bit, assign the depth slightly below the thickness. I would use double stick tape to hold the wood to a carrier board or some spray photo low tack glue. This would let the bit cut thought the thin wood and leave little manual labor clean up of the tabs. The 1/16 bit has LESS uplifting effect on the wood compared to the aggressive 1/8 inch bit. The 1/16 bit would have a tighter turning radius and look much like a scroll saw.

I would even be tempted to buy some of the 1/8 inch florescent Acrylic CAST on eBay and try it too.... Make a place for the Christmas Tree Bulb to insert into the acrylic and you have a edge lit snowflake... OR star.... or snowman....

SO many GREAT ideas for the craft season....

You might also consider using the Font that has the bottom connected to quickly type in kids names that are then cut with the 1/16 inch from thin wood or acrylic... SO many ideas... SO little time....

In the picture below, see the stack of plastic tags to the right were cut with the 1/16 inch end mill bit with the QC and the stack on the left were PERFECTLY cut with the ROCK.... So don't attempt this with a QC.... The Bit Fluter could Whip around so much that it will throw the little pieces out of the ornament causing problems..... ROCK ON....

Picture 2 shows my first attempt to cut the tags with the 1/8 inch bit and the QC... Even with my dust collection system and top collector, the aggressive nature of the 1/8 inch bit flung plastic chips everywhere... The Y Belt was covered with static cling chips to the point that it jammed up and you can see the cut went SHORT...... The advantage of the 1/16 inch bit is that MANY of the wood or plastic chips stayed in the cut line, a good thing for plastic as seen in picture 3....

As for plastics.... There is Extruded and Cast.... Cast is more expensive and I believe machines well with the CW to a point.... Extruded is pressed with rollers and is always less expensive and will usually MELT and stick to the cutting bit and COOL and JAM THE BIT..... DAMAGING the machine....

LHR does NOT Recommend nor Support the cutting of PLASTIC for this reason.... Use EXTREME CAUTION in attempting to cut plastic... The result can be Spectacular either with a FANTASTIC Product or a DESTROYED MACHINE....

Picture 4 is where I cut a 6 inch bit down to a CW size. Cut the top bit in picture 5 a little shorter as with a board in the machine I could not get the Z up high enough to insert the bit into the ROCK.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC09378_WEB.jpg   DSC03577_WEB.jpg   DSC09417_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 09-27-2009 at 03:15 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Hi Al,
    Thanks for all the wonderful ideas, as well as reporting your success by using the Rock Chuck system!

Happy Carving!

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Thanks RON,

Machine 4 will be here in a few hours...

Another thought I had was take thin wood stock and buy glitter type vinyl at wally mart and stick it on the wood both sides... Cut your pattern using dry mount photo low tack and MASKING TAPE to hold the thin wood on the carrier board. The Glitter will make for a ready to GO out of the machine....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Default 1/16 cutting bit - where to purchase?

Are there any other places to buy the 1/16" cutting bit other than from CarveWright?

Also, has anyone ever tried to used RotoZip bits in the CW?

Thanks
    Rocky

Thank you little Red Woodshop for posting the link to the patterns cut by the 1/16 bit.

To make them, do you manually trace them or do you auto trace them?

As for the bits, I got my bit from Johnson Plastic, but I wanted to get some from LHR too and try them.

The topic of Roto Zip bits have come up and I don't recommend them as they are not carbide and can BEND and that little offset tip will beat the machine to death.

Don't know if Ron has them.

AL

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast