Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one attempted to contain noise??

Default Any one attempted to contain noise??

I live in ever so wonderfull deed restricted area I like to set the CW up and work on other projects in my workshop. aka garage. I have made a prototype which is OK.consisting of plywood and insulation to contain noise. It brings noise to just above a comfortable level. I have seen the plexiglass that the CW folks have made.
    Any thoughts or attempts on any others?
    BTW the project s look great in the gallery.
    John--Florida

I plan on making a hush box for mine, I just have not had the time, I will be making mine from ply and plexiglass, I plan to line it with some acoustical fiberglass panels. I do worry about the heat factor a bit though.
    Most folks are afraid of heights, me I fear width.

There was a thread about this a while back with some useful information and examples:

http://carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66
    Britt Yenne
    CarveWright

A sure fire way to lower the noise so your neighbors don't complain is to SUBLET the work out.

For a small fee I would be willing to do your work. And since we work close to one another delivery would not be a problem.

Or once you get yours back you can borrow mine and make twice as much noise

Enjoy & remember 8 is Gr8t

Shabang-- Well so I've heard that when a sublet is done, the project somehow appers on those ever popular auction sites or even in local retailers, before I get it back. So thanks for the offer but Ill put it in a box. However I could build a box for two CW's and really wake up the subdivision!! :P :
    JW
    8 is gr8t but 24 has more

Default Motor noise...

Anyone ventured the idea of replacing the motor with something not as loud? I don't have one yet, but is it a universal motor? I see someone.... me.... taking a table saw motor, a few pulleys and belts just to quietly drive the shaft to the required speed, rotation and resilience.... OK.... that was a bit of tong and cheek humor for the designer of a very GOOD PRODUCT. I know there are quitter motors on the market but at a price.
    When I was at the Sony Picture Tube plant in San Diego 1995 - 99, we had a Engineer design a CRT or picture tube face buffer that was software controlled much like this. It too used a quiet motor and a industrial cable drive to remove the weight from the working head for easier control. The buffing wheel suffered from 90 degree rotation force like spinning a bike wheel in your hand and off axis force resulted in movement 90 degrees to the force. Hence it was not that efficient at buffing but a good try.... Manual buffing with slurry and 6000 grit paper makes for a long 12 hour shift.... I was a Mechanic working on the Fanuc Robots, Omron Program Logic Controllers, and a bunch of other Factory Automation. Plus I have a 20 year Navy background in Analog Computers, Mechanical Gyros, Digital Drives from Tubes to Microprocessors. So this CarveWright peeked my interest.... My nearest neighbor is about a mile away.... and I have a Wood Shop separate from the Laser Shop for dust control. I had planned to install Cameras to watch the CarveWright like I was planning to do with the ShopBot. I have already pre wired for the cameras now I just need a remote E stop for the CarveWright to stop it if necessary from the other building..... or the house. The ShopBot was crossed off my wish list as soon as I saw the video.... The CarveWright will do all I need and MORE.

Default My 2 cents

What about a longer cable drive and just the motor sitting in a quiet box with cooling.... a further distance from the work head?

I've still got pretty good ears, but outside of the room that you have the CW, the noise is pretty well dampened. Unless one is immediately outside your door/house (even thin metal garage door) it's certainly less noisy than my table saw. The noise doesn't seem to penetrate, which means the box idea probably is a very good one (although I still haven't done one).

Bob

I'm not a CW owner yet, but I dont understand what all the concern is with the noise the CW makes. It is after all a Router and most if not all routers make a lot of noise. You can quite the down if you enclose them in a router table cabinet. But if you do that you still have to be sure the you have good air movement so the motor does not over heat, and that causes noise level to be higher. With the computer and other electronics installed on the CW I would think that heat would be even more of an issue. So is enclosing the CW a good idea?
    You should always make time to play with your Grandkids
    Dan

Default When the nieghbors finally get the courage to complain . . .

Quote Originally Posted by yenne View Post
    There was a thread about this a while back with some useful information and examples:

http://carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66
    I tried going to this thread, but it could not be found. I did find Old Salt's phone booth setup, but am looking for something smaller to contain the noise -- which amazingly is NOT music to the ears of my dear neighbors.

Anybody made a well-ventilated sound-box for theirs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast