Thread: Cutting out shapes

Default Cutting out shapes

I am waiting for my CW to arrive and I have a million projects running through my head while awaiting the arrival of the new baby (bet at least one of you out there knows that feeling ).

I was wondering if I can cut a shape out of a board - for example if I were to take a 12" x 14" board, can I cut out a shape, say a heart shape, from the center of the board? If so, how would I do it?

Also, when carving text into wood, say for example a name bar for a desk, do you simply type in the name, select the text and go from there? I don't understand the difference between the Raster, Outline and Centerline. I would assume that Outline would do what it says, but what about Raster and Centerline? Does one work better than the other?

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Bill

My self, I'd like to see the computer controlled multi bit holder.

A way bigger image library would be cool too. In fact, it might be vital in order to sell these neat machines in volume.

Any guesses on delivery times?

Hey cajunpen,
    To answer your question, raster is carving (usually with the 1/16" bit)
    in a back and forth motion across the width of the board. ( like a printer)
    Centerline, is cutting on the line usually at different depths and most of the time making it looked handcarved.enjoy
    On the heart shape cutout I imported a heart shaped line drawing from Print Artist. Only thing is ,cw uses an 1/8" solid carbide endmill, 1" cutting lenth witch I would think they would be pretty fragile cutting very deep.
    If you don't have any other way to cut them , it will work . My personal 0pion is the feedrate is too fast for most hardwoods . I have drilled holes with it and it does work . I preferr to have it only cut 1/8" deep or so , for a line to follow and then cut it out with a scrollsaw. Later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years