Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inset? What is it?

Default Inset? What is it?

The inset button when drilling a hole.. What does it do and what is it for?
    Thanks,
    John
    Baker City, OR

Default Inset

Quote Originally Posted by jwhllh55 View Post
    The inset button when drilling a hole.. What does it do and what is it for?
    Thanks,
    John
    Baker City, OR
    I don't think you are "Drilling" a hole with the Drill Icon. I think you have made a circle and then applied a "Cut-Path". That is where I see the Inset Icon. The Inset moves the bit by the measurement you specify.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Default Inset Button

Thanks Bud,
    However, in the drill mode the inset button is there and I can't choose a bit to make the hole.
    Please find the pattern I'm trying to make, it's my wife's design. When I load the program in the machine, I get an error that states. "Bit too large".
    So, I went back the program and looked at the bit and I can't open that part up. I was wondering what the inset button was for and if it had anything to do with the size of the hole or bit?
    Thanks,
    John
    Baker City, OR
    Attached Files Attached Files

Not too sure what your machine is doing John. I don't have the inset button on my drill function. BTW....what is the loom for?? The LOML would like to know, crafty lady that she is...lol.

Richard
    Richard

If things improve with age, then I am
    approaching MAGNIFICENT!!

Using v.1.170

Quote Originally Posted by Woodhacker View Post
    Not too sure what your machine is doing John. I don't have the inset button on my drill function. BTW....what is the loom for?? The LOML would like to know, crafty lady that she is...lol.

Richard

Richard,

I think that is for making a afghan.

John,

I opened up the file and when I double clicked on one of the drill holes it brings up the drill tool options menu that allows me to edit the settings.

The depth is only set at 0.400. May want to give it a try.

Thanks Bud,
    However, in the drill mode the inset button is there and I can't choose a bit to make the hole.
    Please find the pattern I'm trying to make, it's my wife's design. When I load the program in the machine, I get an error that states. "Bit too large".
    So, I went back the program and looked at the bit and I can't open that part up. I was wondering what the inset button was for and if it had anything to do with the size of the hole or bit?
    Thanks,
    John
    Baker City, OR
    What version of CW Designer are you using? When I open V 1.152 I do not see an insert button. To reopen the drill function you need to delete the drill function and then reinstall it. Looks like you can only select the 1/8th or the 1/16th inch bit.

How do you use that Loom. Post the instructions.

Why are you setting the hole size to 0.180"? A 1/8th inch dowel is 0.125"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S Loom #2 cw.jpg  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Default Drill

John,
    I found where you see the "Inset" indicator. In the attachment I see it in the ToolBar section, however, it appears to have no effect even if it is altered. It is usually applied to functions like the cut-out.

As you can see, in the attachment, the actual Drill Tool (application Box) shows the 1/8" (.125) bit selected at a diameter of (.180).
    As PCW just posted, you see your settings by a "Double Click" on the hole involved. You see, there, that no Inset is available.

I loaded your project and had no failure as you describe. I used a board smaller than your design and scaled the project to the smaller width. Therefore, I did get a warning that the drill holes would not be scaled.
    I, also, tried a 1/8" bit somewhat longer than my normal bit and had no warning.

I'm not sure what version you are using. I'm looking at 1.152. I do see where there was some sort of "Drill Error" that was fixed in 1.150. Further, just to make sure we are on the same page, I'm using a PC v/s a Mac.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drill Question.JPG  
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Default Afghan Loom

Well, you all are right. It's a Afghan Loom.
    This is the second one that I have made. The first one was made of Oak and a lot larger. The problem I faced was the oak was to hard and broke often.
    This pattern will be made of mahogany. The reason for the depth of the holes and the size is because it the size of the pegs my wife is using.
    As you can see there are a lot of holes and a lot of pegs.
    My Wife said she could sell the looms at the local craft shop here in town, but after doing a little calculations the loom would cost over $200.
    So, I'll make it for her and leave it at that..
    By the way, I cut out the "S" pattern and the outside on the band saw and jig saw, it saves machine time.
    Thanks all,
    John
    Baker City, OR
    Last edited by jwhllh55; 08-26-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Default Cost

At $200.00 the pegs must be made of Gold or other precious metal.
    AskBud

Just in case you missed it, see post # 7.
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Well, you all are right. It's a Afghan Loom.
    This is the second one that I have made. The first one was made of Oak and a lot larger. The problem I faced was the oak was to hard and broke often.
    This pattern will be made of mahogany. The reason for the depth of the holes and the size is because it the size of the pegs my wife is using.
    As you can see there are a lot of holes and a lot of pegs.
    My Wife said she could sell the looms at the local craft shop here in town, but after doing a little calculations the loom would cost over $200.
    So, I'll make it for her and leave it at that..
    By the way, I cut out the "S" pattern and the outside on the band saw and jig saw, it saves machine time.
    Thanks all,
    John
    Baker City, OR
    I thought it was for making Tube Socks? Making an Afghan would keep you warmer then just the socks.

How do you operate that thing?

Looks like you are using 3/16th inch pegs, how long are thy? My local hardware store gave me a bunch of 3/16th inch dowels. That looks like a great project to use them.

I searched the WEB on how to use an “S Loom” – I did not find any responses.

You stated that the Oak broke often maybe the holes you are drilling are too small for a 3/16th inch peg. 3/16th inch is .1875. With all those holes there is a lot of stress on putting a larger peg in a smaller hole.

Post the instructions or a WEB site on how to use that thing, thanks for the information.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3-16  inch D1.jpg   3-16  inch D2.jpg  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast