Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Z Axis Stall 308

When asking he stated he told it to stay under the rollers, Ive always selected no since I add the other 7" wasnt sure if the jog to touch was a response if he selected Yes to stay under rollers.
    I'm a professional toothpick maker.
    TK Designs

Well, I got the one carve done but now I can't get it to carve again. I goes through everything just fine. Rollers back adn forth, Y axis back adn forth and Z axis up and down during measuring and homing. Then it does "Finding Surface" just prior to starting the carve adn it goes up/down next to the brass roller then mooves over to the board and goes down and hits the board (without turning) and stalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap View Post
    Well, I got the one carve done but now I can't get it to carve again. I goes through everything just fine. Rollers back adn forth, Y axis back adn forth and Z axis up and down during measuring and homing. Then it does "Finding Surface" just prior to starting the carve adn it goes up/down next to the brass roller then mooves over to the board and goes down and hits the board (without turning) and stalls.

Zap,

Does the cut motor come on during any of the homing sequences?

Do you get any error messages after the stall?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Yes sir, after the bit selection prompt it moves the truck out for you to insert the bit. Then when I hit OK it spins briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap View Post
    Yes sir, after the bit selection prompt it moves the truck out for you to insert the bit. Then when I hit OK it spins briefly.
    Easy on the sir...LOL

But you say when it goes to start the carve the cut motor does not come on.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Easy on the sir...LOL

But you say when it goes to start the carve the cut motor does not come on.

Thats correct, after all the homing sequences it moves to the location of the board lowers to start the carve and then the dreaded 308 again. And it just stops
    I'm a professional toothpick maker.
    TK Designs

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Thats correct, after all the homing sequences it moves to the location of the board lowers to start the carve and then the dreaded 308 again. And it just stops
    If I recall the Z pack motor on this machine is one you had swapped out because you were having the same issue. I would double check (sure you might have done it already) all the wire connections for the z motor and even the cut motor including the door switch.

This is becoming more than a head scratcher!!!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Have you (or Badger) done a thickness calibration?

You might also loosen the two screws on the z motor, make sure the z tension screw it tight and re-tighten the z motor screws.

As a last resort, I would recommend to completely remove the z truck and then re-assemble. It is a good idea to have a spare set of screws and bearings on hand as the head of the screws can strip out easily, requiring them to be drilled out and replaced so you can correctly load(tighten) the eccentric bearings.

From what I understand, a Z axis stall error 308 basically means the z motor is requiring more current than normal. Either due to mechanical resistance or the bit is hitting the wood sooner than expected.

Rob

Thank you. I plan on calling LHR on Tuesday and then order whatever parts needed. The sandpaper belts aren't tracking correctly and have worn a little on the control pad side so I figure I'll replace those and fix the tracking. I've also noticed the O-ring on the Brass roller has a nick in it so I'll order that as well. Crazy thing is I got it to cut three small projects but I'm not sure what I did to get there.

I think I'll spend some time in designer this week making some projects until the parts arrive and then do some rebuiling.

10. Default check behind plastic cover on z motor

take off the back plastic cover of z motor, check for sawdust, mine was full of sawdust, giving me a z axis stall

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast