Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Z Axis Stall 308

Default Z Axis Stall 308

Ok, have searched found several items related to 308 however they mostly talked about the probe.

Trying to get my first machine that was sitting for awhile ready to give to a friend so he can use it. Its been cleaned and when I try to test it with a board in and go to measure it gives me Zaxis stall 308.

Checked options and im getting the 0000 numbers to change when it is moved. Z truck feels stable nothing appears to be pinched unsure what could be the causes for the stall at this point.

I know I can just give it to him and let him figure it out but would like to give it to him working. Not charging him for it but would like to have it working none the less. He has already purchased the rock chuck, Ive already replace the flexshaft cable and cleaned it. Just not sure what all the causes could be for 308 without having a list to check it against.
    Last edited by badger; 08-23-2009 at 11:09 AM.
    I'm a professional toothpick maker.
    TK Designs

I'm having a similar problem, although it happens when I am carving a project that first asks for the 90 degree V and then the 1/8" cutting bit. I get the Z stall error when the 1/8" cutting bit is "measured".

I think I may be on to something, but I need a few more passes to know for sure. I use the Rock Chuck as well (and love it), however, I think that the 1/8" bit may extend out of the chuck to far and when the machine tries to calibrate the bit that has been inserted, it expects to be able to go closer to the board before making contacting, hence the stall. Luckily, I just have to cut away part of the heat shrink that I place on the 1/8" bit to allow the bit to go into the chuck further.

This sounds like it could be the same problem that I'm having. You can look at my post, in this same topic a few days back.

I ran in to the same issue today... also with rock chuck. Took the collar off the bit and tried again. It was happy. I also beleive it has to do with how long your carving/cutting bit extends from teh rock chuck. I have the 1/2 with sleeves so the sleeve also adds a bit.

Doug Fletcher

This current machine still has the qc in it and not the rock chuck.
    TK Designs

dbfletcher,
    I have all but conclusively confirmed that it was the length of the exposed bit causing the problem.

badger,
    Not sure what to tell you, unless your 1/8" bit is extending too far from the bit adapter for the QC.

Mike

**CARVEWRIGHT**
    Any chance you guys can allow for a bit to be even 1/8" of an inch longer without causing a Z Axis Stall? When you load the 1/8" bit and it homes itself on the brass roller arm, I believe the firmware instructs the Z truck to lower itself too far before slowing and checking for contact with the brass roller.
    I believe what is intended is for a "controlled stall" with the brass roller arm, so the machine knows how large of a bit is inserted. The machine does not look for this "controlled stall" untill it has lowered itself past a predefined amount, call it FULL_SPEED_LOWERING_DISTANCE.
    Any change you can make FULL_SPEED_LOWERING_DISTANCE about 1/8" shorter, ie, check for the controlled stall a little sooner?

That No mans land on the rails between the bearings is most likely the problem... You need to push a rag between the upper and lower Z bearing and clean the speed bump off your rails..... Then rotate each bearing 100% and wipe it clean too...

Next clean the Z Belt and all the cogs of the upper and lower pulley.

Make sure you have the New Z Bundle... If not it is needed...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default Z Stall 308

I never had a 308 before, several other z stalls and usually just a saw dust problem and easy to fix.Been so hot here I havent turned on my machines for a couple of weeks.Did download 1.152 started to carve a project today and got a z stall 308,tried another carve on 1 of my other machine got the same thing.1 machine has QC chuck the other an RC Eliminator chuck.tried my 3rd machine and it got zstall 308 also.Guess i will go back to 1.15 and see what happens tommorow.
    3 Carvewrights, 1 Epilog Laser Engraver

Still no go. Rails are clean, replaced circuit board behind ztruck, power on and I am getting resistance on the truck only other thing I can think of is the 14pin cable. Checked sensors and they all appear to be working fine.
    TK Designs

Upgraded to 1.152, still no go. Called LHR and confirmed everything else was working correctly so went ahead and ordered couple more 14pin cables. Last resort.

Did however noticed they changed their shipping prices, was a nice find.

My current 14pin cable appears to be in good shape with a couple nics here and there so could possible be the nics are worse than they appear.

Does it have to be a flat ribbon cable? Wouldnt a different setup using a cable instead be more sturdy where you are not damaging a ribbon cable all the time?
    TK Designs

I had considered taking the wide fiber packing tape and placing it on both sides of the flex cable only in the exposed flexing area to act as a safety sleeve.... A 14 pin.... condom.... Keep you flex safe...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast