Thread: Onlays?? Member needs help

Default Onlays?? Member needs help

"my name is Ron O, and a brandnew member.I need Lots of HELP. I am trying to make some onlays for apiece of furniture What a tuff time I am having. The onlay measures 1/4 x3 1/2 x 16 inches long. How do I do this? I wou8l GREAYLY APPRECIATR any and all HELP you could give me on my new machine."
    Personally, I wouldn't make an onlay but figure out how to carve a piece and integrate it into the furniture. Then again, I do have the tools to do most any kind of this work and have no idea what you have to work with.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

To add to what Pkunk said, not knowing exactly what you are wishing to add a carving to, it's hard to say, EXCEPT that remember you can carve on both sides of your work (check other threads on this) which includes carving concave to have your added piece fit properly onto something round (like a table leg, etc).
    Bob Hill

Quote Originally Posted by pkunk View Post
    "my name is Ron O, and a brandnew member.I need Lots of HELP. I am trying to make some onlays for apiece of furniture What a tuff time I am having. The onlay measures 1/4 x3 1/2 x 16 inches long. How do I do this? I wou8l GREAYLY APPRECIATR any and all HELP you could give me on my new machine."
    Personally, I wouldn't make an onlay but figure out how to carve a piece and integrate it into the furniture. Then again, I do have the tools to do most any kind of this work and have no idea what you have to work with.
    If he has the broken onlay part, the CW scanner would give him the best 3d part. He may need to use some wood putty to make repairs. The next best is to use Coral or AI to make a new drawing and work from that.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Default he needs

to read the manual.