Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Laptop

I guess my only point was.. how useful is the software really without a carvewright machine? This is a hobbiest system right? If I have 5 pc's in my house (which by the way would be low... I have 12 but only use 5-7 of them on a daily basis), is there really a big deal of me having the software on all 12? I only have one carvewright so its not like I can be creating 12 proejcts then turn around and run them all at the same time?

I have a hobbist vinyl cutter (no.. not cricket), and when they first started out they had thier software tied to machines... eventually they also realized that with out the cutter, the software really isnt that valuable... and after enough complaints from the unser comunity, they changed it where the "machine" was the dongle. Obvioulsy I dont want to have to have the carvewright hooked up to a computer to be able to use it... but what super cool things are people doing with the software by itself without eventaully wanting to send it to a carvewright?

The computer embroidery machine I have also works in this fashion. Again.. the design software isnt really useful if you dont have the "hardware" that is actually going to use the design.

What am I missing? What can you really do with the designer program if you dont own a carvewright? The only thing I can think of is make some neat projects... that owuld make me say "hey... this is really cool stuff... i'm gonna have to go get me one of those carvewright machine so I can carve these project I just made."

Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post

the design software isnt really useful if you dont have the "hardware" that is actually going to use the design.

What am I missing? What can you really do with the designer program if you dont own a carvewright? The only thing I can think of is make some neat projects... that owuld make me say "hey... this is really cool stuff... i'm gonna have to go get me one of those carvewright machine so I can carve these project I just made."

Doug Fletcher
    You are absolutely right. also the machine is useless if you were unable to register the software.

I believe licensing was setup this way because one long-term possibility is decoupling the software from the machine.
    Mark Anderson
    CarveWright (10/28/2008 - 6/18/2014)

I can see the logic in that if you are also planning on using a more universal format (g-code?) for your compiled projects... but it was my understanding this isn’t the case. So I guess I fail to see the appeal of a proprietary format from a proprietary piece of software for use on a proprietary machine. There doesn’t seem to be a logical “decoupling” point there.

But it is what it is… I do like the software and I think it does have lots of features/power. It just seems that there are a lot of underlying restrictions you would expect in a industrial/commercial setting but seem fairly out of place in a “hobbyist” world.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

I saw this on my Yahoo page today. http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/200908...prweb2721504_1

Seems CarveWright has bigger software ambitions.

"High consumer demand for the powerful but easy-to-use CarveWright software has led to the opening of discussions with ShopBot Tools, Inc., regarding ways to bring about an exciting new combination of CarveWright software with the ShopBot family of CNC machines."

I'm with you there. I am once again having to install my software after sending my PC in for warranty repairs.

Unable to continue now, message says License File Import Failed. Great. And it's the weekend.

Where's my "Unamused" smilie when I need it?
    Measure twice, cuss once.

Quote Originally Posted by joesighting View Post
    I saw this on my Yahoo page today. http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/200908...prweb2721504_1

Seems CarveWright has bigger software ambitions.

"High consumer demand for the powerful but easy-to-use CarveWright software has led to the opening of discussions with ShopBot Tools, Inc., regarding ways to bring about an exciting new combination of CarveWright software with the ShopBot family of CNC machines."
    And then the article say's "With the goal to bring the art of woodworking into the next century, the company patented and distributed a revolutionary "quick changer" for handheld routers in 2003. The engineers used the same quick-changer concept to create the CarveWright Woodworking System. First introduced through Sears in November of 2006 as the CompuCarve Woodcarving System, it is driven by CarveWright software.

I would not have been in too big a hurry to put that statement in there!!!
    Steven Alford
    Colorado Springs, CO
    V1.152

bwnichols Guest

Jeff B.,

The 'grumbling' I think is about an unenlightened software licencing policy (EULA). Granted, 'seat licencing' may be typical in the CAD world, but 'user' licencing is what I think would help LHR score a public-relations win with the customer cummunity, at essentially no cost.

Below is a partial example (click link for full EULA), from IDM Computer Solutions, publishers of UltraEdit (great text editor, BTW) of what I would call an 'enlightened EULA':

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. This License Agreement (License) permits you to use a single copy, or multiples copies if you are the only user of the software product identified above, which may include user documentation provided in on-line or electronic form (SOFTWARE). The SOFTWARE is licensed as a single product, to an individual user, or group of users for Multiple User Licenses and Site Licenses. This Agreement requires that each user of the SOFTWARE be Licensed, either individually, or as part of a group.

IDM's licence agreement allows me to keep individual copies of the software on my laptop, on my home workstation, and on my workstation at work. Since I can't use all three computers at once, it seems like a fair and reasonable policy. And that I think is 'what all the grumbling is about' -- for example, it's my lunch-hour now and I'm going to tweak a CarveWright drawing here at work...and then load it into the machine when I get home. Using 'Dropbox', any change I make to the CW drawing here at work is replicated to my home machine. But when the 30-day trial expires on my work machine, I'll no longer be able to do this.

If anyone from LHR is listening, in addition to dispensing with the QC adapter and including a RockChuck and rubberized belts as standard, please consider updating your software EULA to a 'user licencing' model.

Regards,
    Brando

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12