Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop

Angry New Laptop

I finally replaced my old clunker of a laptop. From what I've read on the forum I have to talk to Carvewright to get them to release one of the two licenses from my old computer. I have been calling them leaving messages for three days now with no call back. What does it take to get this done? Any ideas? Do they only work certain days? My new laptop is a screaming machine but I am cut off from my machine.

Carvertim

Wow, three days and no call back!!
    I find no excuse for that, especially if you plan on staying in business. Unless of course that is NOT their plan!
    Can you imagine what is going to happen to us when they stop answering their phones completely?? Then where do we get parts for a proprietary machine like the CW??

If the owner cared about us he would be at the office returning calls and answering the phone after hours.
    Steven Alford
    Colorado Springs, CO
    V1.152

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Alford View Post
    I find no excuse for that, especially if you plan on staying in business. Unless of course that is NOT their plan!
    Can you imagine what is going to happen to us when they stop answering their phones completely?? Then where do we get parts for a proprietary machine like the CW??

If the owner cared about us he would be at the office returning calls and answering the phone after hours.
    I placed a call for the same reason on Monday. I left a voice mail explaining what I wanted done (deactivate 1 licensense since I now have a new desktop). I received a call back a couple of hours later letting me know that it had been done. I told them in the voice mail which particular computer license (name) I wanted deactivated. All worked good for me.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

I could be wrong, but I could swear you can do this yourself... if you log in to the carvewright site...

http://www.carvewright.com/register

Doug Fletcher

Silly question: are you leaving a good number for them to call back? Don't rely on caller ID. Do you have an answering machine on that number?
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    I could be wrong, but I could swear you can do this yourself... if you log in to the carvewright site...

http://www.carvewright.com/register

Doug Fletcher
    I wish we could do this ourselves instead of relying on someone at LHR to do it. After all, we're logging on with our own login and password to our own secure site. The only thing you can edit is the name of the computer that your license is on. Would be just as easy to add a "remove license" button for either one of the PCs that's allowed. Guess that's just too easy.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Yes a "remove license" button is easy to add. The code to make that work may not be so easy. This means the web server then has to talk to the license server. This connection has to be established through the firewall so someone can't hack it and maliciously remove licenses from other users or try to gain access to the license server and add licenses that were not paid for. If LHR is using commercial software for the license management, the APIs may not exist (or are prohibitively expensive) to do this.

I believe if it where so simple to do, they would have done it already as it would help reduce calls. Unfortunately, this would only reduce a small number of calls as many users are not even aware of how to get to the customer support section, so they still have to walk the customer through how to get there let alone make any changes.

Rob

Well, I will agree this is a very slim outside chance that there may be an Add license API without a corresponding remove license API (most likely all in the same api).. but as a software developer/systems analyst for over 20 years that would be very unlikely indeed. And if you really think about it... the add license would/should be more difficult and secure than the remove lisense. The account login/password is the security they have implemented on the website.

I doubt there thought process whas "well.. if an account gets hacked.. we dont want him to remove the legit owners computer and add his own.. not sure how that would be all that useful anyways.

To me it seems much more likly to fall under the lhr "control" issues that they seem to have about much of there software/hardware.

As far as i'm concerned.. I think of the carvewright machine itself as a "dongle". It really isnt all that useful to have the software without a machine... and with the 30 day trial... u can (with a little work) install it on as many machines as you like anyways.

I dont mean to make this sound like a lhr bashing message.. becuase it isnt really. But simple functions should be just that... simple.

Doug Fletcher
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 08-12-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Alford View Post

Well if one day they don't answer their phone and register server not working (due to bankruptcy or whatever reason)....you and I are stuck with a useless piece of equipment that is fully paid for But I'm sure there is another way round when that day comes.

I guess I am a bit confused about all the grumbling. I deal with all sorts of software with different licensing schemes. The system that CW uses is pretty typical, in that you get X number of seats and need to place a call to a support center if you do a reinstall. If the users to negate a license then what would stop one from installing/licensing it on 100 machines one by one.

In fact I think it has taken me longer to write this than I spent on the phone with CW the few times I have upgraded computers over the last couple of years.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast