Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Designer v1.152 now available - use caution

Default Do you still need

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I can load and run Designer on my son's Vista machine but not mine. I get the gui.exe error. I contacted tech support on this months ago and got instructions sent which I followed to the letter but no joy. Tech support insists it works, implying that I am not following instructions. Stalemate. I'm stuck using my old, poorer-performing XP computer. I've spent hours trying other variants to install and run, downloading drivers, etc. So if you've got the magic fix, please send it on over!
    Dick,

Do you still need this fix, if so let me know and I can e-mail it to you.

Ed
    Ed Smith
    A WoodSmith
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by AWoodsmith View Post
    Dick,

Do you still need this fix, if so let me know and I can e-mail it to you.

Ed
    Yes please! Sent you a pm with my email address.

Default You got it

Yes please! Sent you a pm with my email address.
    Dick,

You got mail, and let me know if you need anything else. I forwarded you what worked for me do I hope it works for you. IT was weird for me as I had designer on this laptop with Vista and my Desktop with VISTA and had no issues then all of a sudden I had issues. But it works great now, so far anyway.

Ed
    Ed Smith
    A WoodSmith
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ

Ed,

Thanks, but you got the same instructions that I did and it does not work for me. I also tried many variants with no success. Unfortunately for me, tech support does not believe me and refuses to acknowledge a problem.

When I get some time I am going to install virtual PC on Vista and then install XP on the virtual machine, and then try running Designer on XP in the virtual environment in Vista.

BTW I also had no luck running in safe mode - I got the same failure.

Dick

you'll probably get the software to run using virtualization, but keep in mind that virtual pc still doesnt support usb devices (card writer), so you still wont be able to "upload" your designs to the card using virtual pc. I understand vmware has better support for usb devices, but no longer use that myself. Hyper-v isnt really any better with usb either, but performance does go way up once you get para-virtualized drivers installed in hyper-v.

Doug Fletcher
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 08-31-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    you'll probably get the software to run using virtualization, but keep in mind that virtual pc still doesnt support usb devices (card writer), so you still wont be able to "upload" your designs to the card using virtual pc. I understand vmware has better support for usb devices, but no longer use that myself. Hyper-v isnt really any better with usb either, but performance does go way up once you get para-virtualized drivers installed in hyper-v.

Doug Fletcher

It all sounds like a horrible virus to me!!!
    Steven Alford
    Colorado Springs, CO
    V1.152

Its a video driver issue... do a search on old messages here, I detailed the fix well over a year ago.
    Just happened to have some time to stop in here and catch up on the board.....
    BoardSilly
    "Destroying Cuba 1 Cigar At A Time"

Quote Originally Posted by BoardSilly View Post
    Its a video driver issue... do a search on old messages here, I detailed the fix well over a year ago.
    Just happened to have some time to stop in here and catch up on the board.....
    Please post a link - I cannot find your fix.

Please post a link - I cannot find your fix.
    Dick,

I think one of these is what BoardSilly was referring to. I was hoping that you found the solution to the problem. When you do please share the fix.

Quote BoardSilly on 8/07 >

There is a known issue with the ATI Open GL driver. Simply rename the ATIOGLXX.DLL to a different name so Windows does not load it. You should have no issues without it.

Quote BoardSilly on 7/07 (I think you have tried this already)>

To run an program in XP mode:

1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Locate the applications executable. (gui.exe)
    3. Right click the executable and click the Properties option.
    4. Select the Compatibility tab.
    5. Select the "Run This Program in Compatibility Mode" option.
    6. From the drop-down list, choose the operating system mode you want the program to run in.
    7. If necessary, select the option to run the program as an administrator.
    8. Click OK.

Thanks, but I can't find that file on my system.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789