Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Designer v1.152 now available - use caution

Default Designer v1.152 now available - use caution

I would strongly recommend to anyone upgrading, to first make a copy of your CarveWright folder under Program Files and rename it to CarveWright x.xxx where x.xxx is that version. This way you can switch between versions as bugs are found.

I have already found an issue with the spline tool.
    menu Drawing > Spline Tool V is tied to the Smart Spline Tool which is nonfunctional. The keyboard shortcut (V) also brings up the Smart Spline Tool. The only way to get to Spline is through the Line Pulldown Group on the Drawing toolbar.

Rob

This is just a question in hopes someone from LHR can respond. I have just downloaded and isntalled the latest version (1.152) and was reading the readme file that documents the changes. I found it odd that most of the bugs that have been reported in 1.150 are not listed in the change log. However, every post I have seen that mentioned a bug the reponse was always "This error has been reported and is fixed in the next release". Now I haven't actually had time yet to try out the new version.. but I was just curous as to why "fixed" bugs are not always included in the change log if indeed they have been fixed?

For example... some of the bugs I know were reported are:

Triple cut passes on cut path operations and centerline text.
    Outline text just create the outline of all letters and doesnt do the "insides"
    Porr measurement capabilities (ie. measure the same 48 in. board from the front panel and consistently inconsistant to about a inch off).

I relaise that some errors are cuased by code changes inteh firmware and some are introduced from the designer software, but I would think there should be somewhere we can look to see what all problems have been respolved for each version.

Thanks

Doug Fletcher

Cool

I think this release was a "clean all old bugs" fix.

not even giving to outside testers.

I know a lot of hard work has gone to the firmware this time around so i can't wait to try it.

LG

LG,
    Can you elaborate on the firmware changes?

Thanks,
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

5. Default

Rob, thanks for the report, we are looking into why that is showing up. Don't tell anyone (), but the Smart Spline Tool (may not be the final name) will be part of another add-on feature set that is in the works. I can't say much more, at this time, but we have a number of cool feature on the way.

As LG says, 1.152 is a mainly a bug fix release. Under the hood a lot changed in 1.150 (thus the jump from 1.134), and whenever there are major changes there may be unexpected problems. 1.152 primarily cleaned up those bugs.

Doug, its mostly an information management issue. The change log in the Readme is mainly the high points of what is fixed in a release. We filter the bugs resolved in our bug tracking system, and throw out bugs that are seem too technical to bother users with. In a typical release, we have 2-3 times as many issues in our bug tracker as we do in the change log. In a few cases, our bug tracking system may have too technical a description of a problem, and we may miss the impact it has on users...so we may throw the baby out with bath water. It is something I certainly hope to improve upon.
    Chris Morlier
    CarveWright

Thanks Chris. I suspected it might be something along those lines. Just as a suggestion, going forward, I would be helpful to know if a reported bug is caused by firmware or the designer software. That way as users we could rollback to an appropriate version of the firmware and/or designer software with out having to do the "trial and error" method.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

Quote Originally Posted by SteveEJ View Post
    LG,
    Can you elaborate on the firmware changes?

Thanks,

• Fixed a bug in centerline or other vector operations that caused lines to be carved two or 3 times unnecessarily.
    • Fixed problems with the first raster line carving too fast.
    • Added thickness measurement option - (Opt 7-3).
    • "Cut board to size" now uses cut settings in user options (Opt 0-5-6-1).
    • Note: New projects (compiled with Designer 1.152) are not backwards compatible with firmware previous to 1.152. You will receive "project error 25" if you try.

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    This is just a question in hopes someone from LHR can respond. I have just downloaded and isntalled the latest version (1.152) and was reading the readme file that documents the changes. I found it odd that most of the bugs that have been reported in 1.150 are not listed in the change log. However, every post I have seen that mentioned a bug the reponse was always "This error has been reported and is fixed in the next release". Now I haven't actually had time yet to try out the new version.. but I was just curous as to why "fixed" bugs are not always included in the change log if indeed they have been fixed?

For example... some of the bugs I know were reported are:

Triple cut passes on cut path operations and centerline text.
    Outline text just create the outline of all letters and doesnt do the "insides"
    Porr measurement capabilities (ie. measure the same 48 in. board from the front panel and consistently inconsistant to about a inch off).

I relaise that some errors are cuased by code changes inteh firmware and some are introduced from the designer software, but I would think there should be somewhere we can look to see what all problems have been respolved for each version.

Thanks

Doug Fletcher

Doug,
    As you notice this is version 1.152 upgrade. There was a version 1.151 upgrade a few weeks ago that addressed the issues of most of the bugs we have been complaining about. I personally did not load that version because it fixed the depth problem were your thickness of your board was off by .04. I had already designed a few major projects and at the moment I do not want to have to go back into my machine and recalibrate my thickness. I can just see all the problems that will cause!!!
    Steven Alford
    Colorado Springs, CO
    V1.152

Question

For some reason after loading 1.152 To download a scan I have to use flash manager.
    http://william.bowen.com/:)
    ("There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    - Herbert Spencer )

•Note: New projects (compiled with Designer 1.152) are not backward compatible with firmware previous to 1.152. You will receive "project error 25" if you try.
    I use firmware 1.113 when i have a y over load cutting frets. Is this taking away the options to rollback the firmware like we have been??

Any negative impacts on my MPC projects made in the last two years? am i stuck with FW 1.152?

Hey Rob,
    did you mean are not backward compatible with "software" previous to 1.152.?
    LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 08-05-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast