Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Designer v1.152 now available - use caution

Yes, tried that and many variants, including running the installation as administrator - no luck.

Why would I need to do this anyway - I AM the administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Yes, tried that and many variants, including running the installation as administrator - no luck.

Why would I need to do this anyway - I AM the administrator.
    Do you have Rendering cache set to 256 and hardware acceleration 'Off'?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Massingale View Post
    Do you have Rendering cache set to 256 and hardware acceleration 'Off'?
    Can't even get that far - I get the error message before I'm able to change those settings.

Give it a try in safe mode. On boot-up hit F8 on first screen and select safe mode.

Just so you know I run designer 1.152 on Vista with not to many problems. Only problem I have noticed is a occasional gui error running pattern editor. Good Luck

I've installed Designer many times on Vista and never had an issue. Are you running the installer as an administrator?
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Quote Originally Posted by PCW View Post
    Give it a try in safe mode. On boot-up hit F8 on first screen and select safe mode.

Just so you know I run designer 1.152 on Vista with not to many problems. Only problem I have noticed is a occasional gui error running pattern editor. Good Luck
    My son also suggested that. I am not near my Vista machine now, but will give it a try this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    Are you running the installer as an administrator?.
    Yes, see my post #62 this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    I've installed Designer many times on Vista and never had an issue.
    Yes, and as I stated I've installed it on my son's Vista machine and did not have an issue. This is good information, but I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Are you saying that there are no issues? This is what tech support tells me. Sorry, but it is very frustrating to hear this with the implication that "it's not my problem - it must be you or your system" with no further help offered.

I understand and knowledge that it installs and works fine for some, maybe a lot of people, on Vista. I understand that the administrator work-around works for some (although I've never gotten an explanation as to why). It does not work on my system. That does not necessarily mean that this is not a CarveWright software problem.

Quick reply to running as administrator. Running a program as a administrator has full privileges.

Right click on the desktop designer icon and go to properties. In the Security tab you can view what privileges are assigned to each user.

Also you may want to try the Compatibility tab and run in XP mode to see if it the program will run.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	properties.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	25538

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	properties2.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	25539

Also you may want to try the Compatibility tab and run in XP mode to see if it the program will run.
    Thanks, tried that and many variants.

Right click on the desktop designer icon and go to properties. In the Security tab you can view what privileges are assigned to each user.
    Yes, I have the same privileges. if I AM the administrator, why do I need to explicitly specify to run the program as administrator? Note on your own example that the "Run as administrator" is gray and not able to be check. My point is that I already have, by default, full privileges. Why to I need to right click to run as administrator when I am the administrator?

10. Default vista running as administrator

Try this link, it should clear up thoughts on vista running as administrator, big change from XP.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast