Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick Release Chuck wobbling ...

Default Quick Release Chuck wobbling ...

I started to carve a sign in oak today and set the project depth at .125. As the project progressed, I noticed a lot more tearout than usual in the lettering. I stopped the machine and checked the bit. It was in solid, so I looked at the Quick Release Chuck. It is loose, having a play of about 1/16th of an inch and wobbles when running. I am trying to find a flat wrench that will fit the nut on the cutting head to see if I can tighten it up again. I'm afraid some threads may be damaged, not holding it tight anymore. I will keep you posted on what I find I am able to do.

This part had come loose a couple of weeks ago before I went to school (see other thread) and I had applied some LockTite and threaded it back on. I hadn't had a chance to do much else until I returned home today. This is the first project I've tried since then, so it looks like the coming loose is still an issue. Anyone know where to get a flat wrench to fit on the nut above the Quick Release Chuck?

I ran into the same problem yesterday. I caught it a little to late though. Before I was able to pause the machine the cutting bit broke.
    Once I determined the problem, I too realized I didn't have a wrench thin enough to tighten it. Being a fabricator, I ended up making one out of 1/8" steel flat stock.
    I haven't contacted Carvewright yet...I will call them on Monday.

Obviously this is something I will have to add to my checklist to keep an eye on.
    John

Default Re: Quick Release Chuck wobbling ...

[quote="Ron Smith" Anyone know where to get a flat wrench to fit on the nut above the Quick Release Chuck?[/quote]
    I'd grind down an open end wrench.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

I found one that came with a PC router and it works fine. I'll try to get up and running again today. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for your ideas.

Sorry to hear about this. Those collets are supposed to be thread-cemented, but the factory didn't do so on some of them. The only way to test is to try to pry it off and see whether the chuck or the tool snaps first, so you can imagine why we're not too keen on testing this very often.

Tightening the collet is relatively simple. You can remove the flex shaft by pulling up to pop it off the cutting head. This exposes the square fitting where the flex shaft enters the spindle. Insert a square wrench to hold the spindle in place while using a typical flat router wrench to tighten the nut on the collet. Then you can re-insert the flex shaft and push down to snap it back in.

If the nut is tight but the collet still wobbles, it is likely damaged. This is very rare, but let us know and we can send you another one.
    Britt Yenne
    CarveWright

same problem. took off the chuck cleaned the threads and put on some lock-tight.
    Dont squat with your spurs on.

Default Loose bits

I am having an issue with my chuck also. It seems pretty common and after changing 2 bit adapters I called carvewright. The new bit adapters go in great with no play, then about 45 minutes into a carve it gets lose. It has the same 3 ballbearing dings I changed from the old bit adapters, and wont stay in the chuck. Carvewright tells me that the chuck is not a warranteed item and I have to buy a new one. I have about 100 hours on the machine. Also the sawdust bag has a gaping hole in it and you guessed it it is not under warrantee either. I have not really had any issues befor this, but I am out of commission and a deadline to meet for customers. I have kept it oiled and clean. Is the rock chuck that much better to go with for a replacement? I ordered one just to see, and hopefully it will get here soon, so I can make the deadline. I just dont know why they would only put a warrantee on parts of the machine when clearly the machine is not even broke in!

Quote Originally Posted by malviski View Post
    I am having an issue with my chuck also. It seems pretty common and after changing 2 bit adapters I called carvewright. The new bit adapters go in great with no play, then about 45 minutes into a carve it gets lose. It has the same 3 ballbearing dings I changed from the old bit adapters, and wont stay in the chuck. Carvewright tells me that the chuck is not a warranteed item and I have to buy a new one. I have about 100 hours on the machine. Also the sawdust bag has a gaping hole in it and you guessed it it is not under warrantee either. I have not really had any issues befor this, but I am out of commission and a deadline to meet for customers. I have kept it oiled and clean. Is the rock chuck that much better to go with for a replacement? I ordered one just to see, and hopefully it will get here soon, so I can make the deadline. I just dont know why they would only put a warrantee on parts of the machine when clearly the machine is not even broke in!
    For many of us the rock chuck has turned our machines in to "fun" again. It is so much easier to use than the qc... along with being better balanced and much less runout. Well worth the investment in my opinion.

Doug Fletcher

Default update to lose bits

I have received the rock chuck, broke the square adapter, made 3 more out of S3 square bit adapters, broke 2 more, heated up the chuck and finally got the QC off. That was half my day. The got the rock installed, to find out that the board sensor lens melted just enough not to function. I gound the lens off as a temp fix until a new one gets in. Now the machine is running and trying to carve and the flex shaft is heating up more then usual. I lubed it a few days ago and lubbed it again today. l let it soak for an hour, hung it for about 30 mins and this sucker is hot! I did notice before I ran into problems with the QC it was warmer then usual but not hot. I am at a loss on what to do next. This machine has about 150 hours on it. Any Ideas?

I would just keep running it as the bearing could of been heated a little during the removal of the old QC, it should smooth out in 3 or 4 hrs, will see..

LG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast