Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is an STL?

Joe

Save your money on meshcam...I made the misktake a year or so ago an bought it...it's very very limited as far as making patterns and controlling the height/depth etc. I ended up buying zbrush for 595 and really have never looked back...you can really do it all with zbrush but the learning curve is steep. I also use maya 3dmax and Moi. I dont like zbrush for actual modelling prefer to use one of the other packages but for sculpting and details it cant be beat and it can render out the height map.

John
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Thanks John,

That is a good tip. I have started to look a ZBrush as something I can use to complement MOI. It is good to hear that you are using both.

I will watch the tutorials on your web site.

Thanks

Joe

[QUOTE=Jeff_Birt;97915]I think this thread is getting way off track, there is obviously a lack of understanding by some folks on how all the different parts of the system work together.

I appreciate the partial definitions Jeff and sorry to get off track of the original post. But these are the things related to the original post that I am finding frustrating. The definitions and explanations for us layman out here. Is it possible to come up with a glossary or "idiots guide" to get us started towards a full understanding of what we are dealing with. I know it may be boring to those with 20+ years of CAD experience, but a tips and tricks or newsletter for the rest of us could be extremely helpful. Some of us may just have one of those "Aha" moments.

Hello JD,

I sent you a PM regarding your request.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Smile Stl???

Hello all,
    After reading several posts on the STL program (upgrade)i have had several questions as to how the user can generate usable and desirable to the user model items easaly "Created" by the user, items to carve. Or are there unlimited supply's of STL files available? I am not looking to purchase a lot of programs to make this happen as i was led to believe that this is a add on to the Carvewrihgt software and does's not require added software from other sources to acheive the ideas of the creator, as I would like to use photo files or something that one can aquire from a computer abd a camera to produce a usable carveable file. Thanks for your help on all matters listed and beound.
    Thanks Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Icutone2 View Post
    Hello all,
    After reading several posts on the STL program (upgrade)i have had several questions as to how the user can generate usable and desirable to the user model items easaly "Created" by the user, items to carve. Or are there unlimited supply's of STL files available? I am not looking to purchase a lot of programs to make this happen as i was led to believe that this is a add on to the Carvewrihgt software and does's not require added software from other sources to acheive the ideas of the creator, as I would like to use photo files or something that one can aquire from a computer abd a camera to produce a usable carveable file. Thanks for your help on all matters listed and beound.
    Thanks Lee
    STL probably isnt going to be what you are looking for them. It is mostly designed to take objects from 3D modeling programs and give us a way to slice them in to carvable items. You still need the 3d model to be able to use the STL importer.

Now there is a lot of freely available models out there that are either already in STL format or can be converted to STL format. But be forewarned... if you dont have much experience working with 3d modeling programs. it can be a rather daunting task. (not to mention some 3D programs can run int he $1000's.. there are also several low cost/free programs as well)

Of course this is just one mans opinion... but good luck and I hope you can find the tools you need.

Doug Fletcher

DRMIKE Guest

Default Scanning Probe

Scanning Probe Only Works Well On Deep Patterns. On Shallow Patterns A Lot Of Detail Is Lost. Surface Comes Out Very Rough But Can Be Smoothed With Blur Tool

Default probe

Quote Originally Posted by DRMIKE View Post
    Scanning Probe Only Works Well On Deep Patterns. On Shallow Patterns A Lot Of Detail Is Lost. Surface Comes Out Very Rough But Can Be Smoothed With Blur Tool
    Did you set the Probe to "Best" as you did the set-ups? It will catch all the detail that it can feel. It is not catching color variations, just contour of the image
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12