Thread: How to handle complex 3d figure?

Default How to handle complex 3d figure?

I have been making various carvings using models available from Carrara. This is my most complex one. I have manually created slices (in Carrara) on a single axis and imported to designer. With a complex figure a single axis produces many layers to some parts (i.e. the wings in this figure). Will STL divide figure to allow different portions to be sliced on it's own axis? For example could each wing be sliced on a different axis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails owl carving.jpg  

Boy! I think that is really great! Hope to see more of these. Keep'em coming!
    thanks so much!
    karl

If I am right you can move the slicing plane within the stl program check out the tutorials of the car I think it was #3
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

yes, you can slice it on different axis and cut into peices and slice the peices
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Will the STL importer handle a thin contoured surface to allow 2 sided carve if total thickness is less than 3/4 inch. I was wondering about the wings of the model I posted. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lgsinmccalla View Post
    Will the STL importer handle a thin contoured surface to allow 2 sided carve if total thickness is less than 3/4 inch. I was wondering about the wings of the model I posted. Thanks.
    Yes.

Lg

Quote Originally Posted by lgsinmccalla View Post
    I have been making various carvings using models available from Carrara. This is my most complex one. I have manually created slices (in Carrara) on a single axis and imported to designer. With a complex figure a single axis produces many layers to some parts (i.e. the wings in this figure). Will STL divide figure to allow different portions to be sliced on it's own axis? For example could each wing be sliced on a different axis.
    How are you doing the slices in Carrara? I've used the depth map to bring some images in, but never in slices?
    nathan

< Insert witty phrase here... >
    Ver 1.130

1)I choose and pose a figure in Carrara.
    2)A plane is placed dividing the figure in half with isometric camera parallel to plane 3/4" on one side.
    3)Render of depth map made.
    4)Plane and camera moved in 3/4" increments with a render of depth map at each move yielding a "slice".
    5)After one side completed camera is rotated and procedure done on second side.
    6)Care must be taken to be sure size of pattern imported is same as original figure or statue will be too thick or thin.
    7)Pattern editor used to fill in spaces or widen narrow edges for gluing.
    Some inside areas are hand carved with rotary tool or multi-tool.
    I have been impressed with the ability of the Carvewright to produce details carvings.I have been considering the STL importer which would make this process easier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wolf.jpg  

Thank you for your answer.
    nathan

< Insert witty phrase here... >
    Ver 1.130