Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The sound of heavy vibration

Default The sound of heavy vibration

This weekend I have been carving some moulding and for time sake I changed the setting from "best" to "normal" the machine sounds like it is vibrating alot more than normal on some of the passes. It doesn't feel like it is vibrating much more than normal. Carving looks good; especially since it is in pine, no heavy lines and average fuzz. Everything on the truck is tight and secure. Is this normal for the "Normal" setting?

Dan

I would give the flex shaft some oil..

LG

Default Bit Labor

Quote Originally Posted by drwatkins View Post
    This weekend I have been carving some moulding and for time sake I changed the setting from "best" to "normal" the machine sounds like it is vibrating alot more than normal on some of the passes. It doesn't feel like it is vibrating much more than normal. Carving looks good; especially since it is in pine, no heavy lines and average fuzz. Everything on the truck is tight and secure. Is this normal for the "Normal" setting?

Dan
    Not all pine is equal.
    White or Yellow pine? Bit in question? Depth of cut (deep cuts, on one pass will chatter more than multiple passed at a smaller depth)? Direction of cut, when chatter happens? An attached MPC may help with solution. I think you will find that "Normal" carves faster than "Best", ergo, more pressure on the truck & bit.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Default heavy vibs

Thanks for taking a look into this for me. Attached is the project. it is the crown moulding that I showed you the other day Bud. Attached is a sample of the project but I could not upload the actual one I am running because it is too big. It is this project repeating itself. The wood is select white pine, the bit is a new 1/16" carving bit (has carved this project 4 times now). The heaviest vibs are on the return cut back toward the control edge (I suspect the speed of return trip and may be contributing). The depth is .125". I bougth a can of liquid wrench with moly this past week, thanks for reminding me LG; I haven't lubed it yet but will today.

Dan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Molding

Dan,
    I tested, some of, your design on a piece of maple. The depth of (.125) has the tendency to sound funny at the top(s) of the trees and antlers (It was not as noticeable at a depth of (.080)). I noticed that as it carves the body of the Elk it sounds normal/better (I had to delete the Bear as I did not have permission).

I attribute this noise to the high amount of narrow top area that the Unit/design was going in to. If you hear more normal sounds on the animals body, I would think everything is OK. I presume that you can tell the difference from sound coming from the head & cutter rather than from the Flex Shaft.

Making sure you have a good lube on the Flex is always a good practice.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Default Thanks Bud

Thank you for checking this out for me. I'm new to the compucarve and cnc carving and wanted some reassurance as my initial start up with this rebuilt machine was not a lot of fun. Seem to have all the probs fixed now and am tickled to death with the results.

Thanks again and I haven't read them all yet but I downloaded all your tips from your page and am learning a great deal.

Dan

Default OH NO it is worsening

I don't think I'll ever get 30 hours on this machine. The vibrations are getting worse. It still carves but the quality is diminished and I checked the QC and there appears to be excessive side to side play at the shaft. My guess is a bearing bad. I contacted LHR to find out if the bearings are adjustable or fixed in the race. So...I guess I'll be tearing this thing down again.

Words to the wise; DO NOT EVER BY A REMANUIFACTURED MACHINE! You cannot convince me that this machine was remanufactured. Not sure it was even checked since it did not work fresh out of the box.

Dan

Dan,

Can you isolated the play to the chuck or spindle? If you move the bit while in the chuck left to right and back to front you should be able to see the play.

The spinal bearings are not adjustable.

http://www.carvewright.com/images/se...ce_z-truck.pdf

Unhappy Troubleshooting completed

Problem isolated.... bearing just dropped out the bottom

Is it the bearing or the shim. Does it look like a ring that is corrugated or is it a roller bearing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast