Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scan to stl?

Default scan to stl?

It seems to me that data from scanner could be used to create STL files as well as gray scale bitmaps. I see no reason why the scanning depth could not also be increased. It would really be cool to be able to scan a larger object and then use the STL importer to slice it up for carving.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    It seems to me that data from scanner could be used to create STL files as well as gray scale bitmaps. I see no reason why the scanning depth could not also be increased. It would really be cool to be able to scan a larger object and then use the STL importer to slice it up for carving.
    A scan already is a gray-scale - you can save the scan (mpw) as a graphic (BMP, PNG) then open it in your photo editor if you wish.

With the right program, you can import the gray-scale graphic, create a relief from it, then create an STL from the relief. (I have done that many times using my ArtCAM software.)

Currently, scanning depth is primarily limited by the probe length and its mounting assembly - I've been able to scan items just over an 1¼" or so, but as you know, the carving bit is limited to 0.8" so I typically will reduce the thickness of the scan in the Pattern Editor to 0.8" or less.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I have taken a scan, saved it as a png, opened it in Photoshop and created a mesh, exported the mesh as an obj, imported that into 3ds max and exported as an stl. If the scans could be saved directly as stl files, it would make things much easier. There could be other advantages as well. For example, the 8 bit depth resolution of grayscale might not be a limitation for stl meshes. With a probe extension, we could do scans of larger objects.

I have taken a scan, saved it as a png, opened it in Photoshop and created a mesh, exported the mesh as an obj, imported that into 3ds max and exported as an stl. If the scans could be saved directly as stl files, it would make things much easier. There could be other advantages as well. For example, the 8 bit depth resolution of grayscale might not be a limitation for stl meshes. With a probe extension, we could do scans of larger objects.

I tried this on a Scan I have made and lost at least half the resolution. I'm sure that there is a practical purpose for converting a scan to STL, but nothing that I do.

Agreed - saving directly as an STL could be a convenience.

The 1.150 Designer version now supports 16-bit graphics which should yield a benefit in the quality of our scans and patterns. Have you had a chance to test that for yourself yet?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default I can't be the only one.

What does "STL" stand for?

Cool Stl

How About,

The Standard Template Library, or STL, is a C++ library of container classes, algorithms, and iterators;
    it provides many of the basic algorithms and data structures of computer science.
    The STL is a generic library, meaning that its components are heavily parameterized: almost every component in the STL is a template
    You should make sure that you understand how templates work in C++ before you use the STL.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default Stl

That's so far over my head I can barely see the vapor trail. Thanks.

Cool

To tell the Honest truth, I'm with you!!

Now where did I put my Coloring Book and Crayons??
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default not the same STL

Ken..

STL is a file format native to the stereolithography CAD software created by 3D Systems.

Wiki page:

The STL file format appears capable of defining a polyhedron with any polygonal facet, but in practice it's only ever used for triangles, which means that much of the syntax of the file is superfluous. It is also the case that the value of the normal shouldn't be necessary, since that is a direct calculation from the coordinates of the triangle with the orientation being controlled by the right hand rule.

STL files are supposed to be closed and connected like a combinatorial surface, where every triangular edge is part of exactly two triangles, and not self-intersecting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STL_(file_format)

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 07-24-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast