Thread: Business question

Default Business question

I have been watching and reading various threads on the forum and am interested in buying a carvewright. But my questions: How many people are using their carvewrights in a business vs hobby? Also how long did it take to pay back the cost of the machine in sales? Any estimates as to how much money you were able to make with the carvewright? I see a lot of possibility with the machine but is it possible as a money making venture? There seems to be quite a few people who may be using these machines to generate sales but hard to tell from the various threads.

Sorry if this post is not in the right place but could not find one that was any better suited for the question.

When i bought my machine i was only going to do enough custom work to pay for the machine which i did in about 6 months. now the work is out that i can do this stuff and i have people talking to me all the time. i live in a town of 1300 people so i dont have a large drawing population but i seem to be two months behind all the time now. i purchases a second machine to help with the load and to make sure i have one machine running all the time(in case of a breakdown which i havent had a lot of).
    if you want to have a lot of fun with woodworking and "WOW" a few of your friends by all mean jump in.

there are a few used machines on the market but i would suggest buying the first carver new. jason at littleredwoodshop.com is where i got mine. he is very helpful and will answer your questions.

it is not a bad idea to find someone in your area willing to show you how the machine works also. i didnt have the luxury but a guy in the same state(thanks jerry) let me call him and talk to him on the phone.

i love my machines and wo uldnt give them up for anything

kendall
    no chips on the floor means no money in the bank

I bought it to assist with my business as I had plans to buy a Shop Bot in about 4 years and could afford this machine. It has taken over about half of my business income next to Fire Department Stuff.

Got lucky and fell into a Sign job where the old guy wanted to quit. Look at my website for pictures.

I ended up getting a 2nd and 3rd machine used to help with the work load. Only really used two machines a few times last summer. Now business is slow enough that one will do, but when they break and they will you really need to have a second machine for the business.

With all my business equipment purchases I have had a loss the last 2 tax years. Doing it as a business lets you depreciate over 5 or 7 years and all the repair parts.

Finding the right customers is the key and having a website with pictures helps. Just got a call today for a sign and I sent them to my website to see what they liked.

LHR could void your warranty if you use it for a business..... I had heard something like that before, I blew through my first 200 hours quickly and bought used machines so it didn't really matter. They won't cover the second owner.

Can you do more with a Shop Bot? YES.... Can you use this hobby machine to make money.... YES....

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default Tech Ed. Curriculum

I am using the carvewright with my middle school students and even though they are designing simple products such as signs the machine is a big hit and always has a waiting line to be used. Now only if I could get a few more machines with 10 workstations set-up with designer I would be in a great position and my students would be in heaven!! They love the machine and that is why I spent my own money to invest and place it into my curriculum.
    Mabco12

5. Default

I have had my machine for two years and 5 days. It has paid for itself probably 5 or 6 times over. And that includes all the lumber, finish materiels, etc. I like to specialize in orders of 20 to 40 pieces. We have several different styles of plaques that we sell to large groups all over the country. Still in the hobby rather than business range but a grand or two extra every month helps alot.
    Last edited by TerryT; 07-11-2009 at 09:55 AM.

Default Plaque pictures?

TerryT,
    Any pics of your plaques that you would like to share??
    Mabco12

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mabco12 View Post
    TerryT,
    Any pics of your plaques that you would like to share??
    Sure, there are picts of my stuff all over the forum but here are a couple. I have some pics of some garden benches that I am going to start marketing. I think they should sell pretty well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails upload1.jpg   upload2.jpg   upload3.jpg   bench1.jpg  

bench3.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    Sure, there are picts of my stuff all over the forum but here are a couple. I have some pics of some garden benches that I am going to start marketing. I think they should sell pretty well.
    I dont know how, but i have somehow missed seeing your plaques. These are very nice pieces! Excellent work Terry!

Happy Carving,

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here