Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayan calendar

1. Default Mayan calendar

I have made a Mayan calendar ptn. Thing is that there's so much intricate details that to get a good carving, the board has to be 28" X 28". So I'm planning to make it 4 sections of 14" X 14", soon...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mayan-calendar.jpg  
    May you be well, may you find happiness! : - )
    "Exaggerated self-importance is deemed an individual fault, but a racial virtue." From Kelly Millar

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyeka View Post
    I have made a Mayan calendar ptn. Thing is that there's so much intricate details that to get a good carving, the board has to be 28" X 28". So I'm planning to make it 4 sections of 14" X 14", soon...
    Very cool!... If the depth of the carving isnt too deep you could try one of my 1/8" 60 deg "V" bits that come to a dead sharp point. It might suprise you how crisp it will come out with the new chuck.

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rjustice View Post
    Very cool!... If the depth of the carving isnt too deep you could try one of my 1/8" 60 deg "V" bits that come to a dead sharp point. It might suprise you how crisp it will come out with the new chuck.

Ron
    I made the depth at .150". I'm still fine tuning this pattern. I will have to test it by carving a small section first. That's a big project, I just can't see this thing being done on a 6" dia piece of wood... I have a big empty wall at home and that would be just the thing.
    "Exaggerated self-importance is deemed an individual fault, but a racial virtue." From Kelly Millar

I made the depth at .150". I'm still fine tuning this pattern. I will have to test it by carving a small section first. That's a big project, I just can't see this thing being done on a 6" dia piece of wood... I have a big empty wall at home and that would be just the thing.
    It is a very cool design, I would love to see it when you are complete.

Happy Carving,

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Beautiful design, only that it is not the "Mayan Calendar" but the "Aztec Calendar"

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bdehoyos View Post
    Beautiful design, only that it is not the "Mayan Calendar" but the "Aztec Calendar"
    Yeah, I know, I just kept the filename it had when I found it. Lots of misinformation floating around this subject on the web.

I have found another pic that will be easier to work with here, if anyone else want's to have a go at it... develop your photo touchup skills
    Last edited by Pratyeka; 07-07-2009 at 09:08 AM.

7. Default

So here is the link to this huge pattern (2.75MB) of the aztec calendar.
    The picture is only part of the pattern so that you can see the details.
    Who will be the first to carve this? Post pics please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aztec calendar 01.jpg  

8. Default

I too thought it was an "Aztec calender". I have a picture of an Aztec calendar that is or is similar to that. Maybe Mayan and Aztec is the same thing, im not sure, excuse my ignorance. Anyways wanted to comment on this cause its "awesome" and the intrincacy is amazing. Keep up the good work.
    www.twinpeaksenterprisesllc.com

"Premium, Kiln Dried, Dimensioned to your request, Black Cherry, Black Walnut, Poplar, woods limited quanities"

Default Cool!

Hi Pratyeka

Another great project you have presented for us.
    This is one that will be put well up on the list.
    I picked up the pattern and was looking at making it 21” X 21” with a carrier board
    Half on 11.250 X 22.00 and the other half on the same size board
    Thanks for your efforts shared
    The Aztec wheel is another project have been researching and would like to do some day
    Cheers
    Ray Ver1.150
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aztec_calendar_01bot21mpcW.jpg   aztec_wheel.jpg  

10. Default

Thanks to all for the kind words. I think it would look great on a table top, under glass. It's one of those piece that the bigger it is, the greater the impact...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast