Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it all worth it?

touch wood (knock on wood) I opened the box and had at it with no problems....

but like the others said, I spent a significant number of hours researching and learning before I loaded my first board up...

Lawrence

Yeah, I did the same by reading the tips & tricks, and this forum. Our extended family here will be one of the best tools you can find. When doing a search put things in "quotes", and like the others have said don't be affraid to ask questions. Many thanks to all the great guys here on the forum for answering my simple, stupid, and repeated asked questions. We all start at the same point....beginners with that learning curve. And I'm still there too. Thanks guys, you Rock, and speaking of Rock, the rock chuck will be your best investment too, what a difference it made for me.

I had significant frustration at the beginning but things are smooth now. With the acception of the cut out bit breakage issue from time to time. The machine is solid and a great source of fun and potential profit. If you buy new think very hard about making modifications before the warranty expires because LHR is very stern where that issue is concerned. I make a lot of splinters and have gotten a lot of "thank you's" with a little extra cha-ching ta boot. Do maintenance as recommended and you will not go wrong.

My Company Site My Company Blog My Church Blog My Church Website My Patterns

Default One more YES vote

Like yourself I lurked and read for quite some time before I made the purchase decision (part of that time imposed by the Get It All layaway plan). One glaring problem that turned out to be a discrepant memory card. The helpful Forum members talked me through that difficulty and LHR responded to my requests for assistance and a replacement. Since then no problems except my learning curve. I'm amazed every day by what the machine can accomplish and I think I'll always be the weakest part of the system. So I say dive in and enjoy the pool!
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

I've been scheming to buy a small CNC for several years now. Things keep changing and every time that I felt like I had found my silver bullet I'd hear or read about some frightful experience that someone had suffered at the hands of the horrible manufacturer who was just out to steal them blind. Now I'm not trying to suggest that there aren't plenty of folks out there that are just trans-shipping whatever import junk they can get their hands on to make a buck, but by and large...people don't stay in business long these days if all they bring to market is junk. Just look at G.M....er, sorry bad example.

Anyway, taxpayer bailouts notwithstanding, these guys aren't in the business of selling everything from T.V.'s to T.V. dinners, they're making and selling CarveWrights. They're also not likely to have enough politicians paid off to earn "Too Big To Fail" staus. Other than accessories and options, it seems to me that their business model makes them pretty much dependent on this one horse being able to finish the race. The machine was obviously not crafted out of twigs and string, so there's been a pretty significant investment of time and money put into it. What I'm trying to say is that they have every reason to want this equipment to be the best that it can be, because if it isn't...then the market will turn them out. With over 15,000 sold, I'd say the market has been pretty receptive.

As for the problems and issues that people experience, I think a little context is in order.

You can't count on getting what you order at McDonalds right half the time, and if ever there was an idiot proofed system for producing something simple...they have it. Cash registers now do everything but spit nickels to account for mouth breeder operation...and they still screw it up. I bought a commercial lawn mower to use at my home that cost me thousands of dollars, and has been nothing but a giant PITA from day one. American made from stem to stern, and built with the same attention to detail that any UAW shop would exhibit. It uses a four stroke Briggs and Stratton engine for crimminy sake...how long have we been making and using them, and they still have problems? My year old garden tiller has been returned twice and it's not a cheapo, or a full year old yet. My son bought a stupid expensive gaming laptop from a top maker that was RTV'ed three times in the first year.

We're not talkin' about hamburgers or lawn mowers I know, but this is a very specialized piece of reasonably precise machinery that combines mechanical devices and computers into a package that still has to survive excitable operator errors and shipping chimps. I would suggest that the fact that anybody gets one that works 100% right out of the box is something of a minor miracle. Stop in and watch a sort at one of the freight companies sometime. You'd be amazed that anything gets where it's going in one piece.

I recently bought a glow in the dark printer (came from Japan) that is in the same relative price range as a CW package. It took a tech half a day to get it set up and working...but not 100% right. That took another three days of running around and fidgeting. I still love the printer, and it does everything that it's supposed to do, but if I had gotten it shipped right to my door and had to deal with that...well it wouldn't have been pretty. That's also why several hundred dollars of the product's cost includes that type of support and set up. I'm pretty sure that if the makers of CW were to change their marketing strategy to one of 100% customer satisfaction at any cost...we'd be paying a tad more for the pleasure of that security. Hey,...maybe we could get the government to step in and fix this too?

You're right - but have you bought your Carvewright, yet?
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Coming from a mold making background, I have a "little bit" of experience with cnc's of many types. I have also owned other desktop cnc machines, a 3D printer, and recently built a large 4' x 8' cnc router table. I too read this forum for about a year before I bought my CW. I called Mike Tyler and had a brief chat about the machine too, during which he convinced me that there was a lot of operator error going on.

I finally bought the machine and installed the Rock Chuck AND dust collection within the first week of owning it - the machine has not failed me yet. Amongst all of the toys I listed above, the CW is a GREAT value for the money! My 3D printer cost me $50k + $9k/year maintenance fee, and it failed all the time. I got so good at fixing it myself that I cancelled the $9k maintenance program! My "other" desktop cnc was just tooooooooooo slooooowwww, plus it required some machining and CAD/CAM knowledge to run it - same for my large table, requires more "know-how". The CW takes a ton of that "know-how" away and gets you carving very complex 3D reliefs in no time. I've been drawing in 3D for 20 years now and I still LOVE how CWDesigner works, I was so happy when they allowed exporting STL files.

If you are an engraver, don't expect to use your CW on metals. Keep it strictly for carving wood or plastic, get it with the CT or install a Rock, carve my dust collector and install it, and you will be a happy digital wood carver. The BEST part though is this forum. Nowhere else, for any type of equipment, have I seen a group this active and full of experience. This forum alone will get you through most of your issues to get back up and running.

Now, quit reading here and go buy one - we all did! Then you can come back here and convince other folks whom are sitting on the fence! <smile>
    ROCKin' with my Dust Collector - Get the mpc here
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ve-it-yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
    Nowhere else have I seen a group this full of experience.
    So THAT'S what we're full of
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

My 3D printer cost me $50k + $9k/year maintenance fee,

Well that's some coin.. I like to see what your making one day.

My Carvewright tables where shot on my old A machine so I sent it to LHR realizing that i needed the extra machine i got a A unit off Ebay a "Carvewright A classic" only 60 hrs with all the old parts even the old z flag. After the unit came into the shop I gave it an inspection normally I guy like me would look for a newer model with all the upgrades but the guy that sold it installed a Rock on the old C so that was a big pull.

First thing? Removed the plastic FFC protector, replaced board sensor, removed the sharp z flag, re seated cables and loosened hood. outcome? 40 minutes of work netted a fully operational CW carving violin parts perfectly and wow a table that a I could use without fighting for hrs before carving so nice YES!
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 04-21-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rearden View Post
    I've been scheming to buy a small CNC for several years now. Things keep changing and every time that I felt like I had found my silver bullet I'd hear or read about some frightful experience that someone had suffered at the hands of the horrible manufacturer who was just out to steal them blind. Now I'm not trying to suggest that there aren't plenty of folks out there that are just trans-shipping

...(READ BELOW TO SEE ALL OF MESSAGE).....

That's also why several hundred dollars of the product's cost includes that type of support and set up. I'm pretty sure that if the makers of CW were to change their marketing strategy to one of 100% customer satisfaction at any cost...we'd be paying a tad more for the pleasure of that security. Hey,...maybe we could get the government to step in and fix this too?
    You've got a great sense of humor and VERY good writing skills! I enjoyed that very much!
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast