Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it all worth it?

Sorry you're gonna have to listen (read) one of my short replies

EVERY problem I've had is user error, period (and I've only had a handful). But here's the latest that about made me crazy -

Been helping my son remodel his home. The last step was making some "trim" for his fireplace. Maple, 5.5"w x 8 feet l. Simple design, nothing more than a vine running the entire length, with leaves every 6" - he's an ME, I let him do the design - it was perfect.

Now, for the stock - he brought me 6.5" x 9' rough sawn maple. It was crooked, twisted, warped, you name it.

I've got a few tools, so I went about straitening, jointing, planing, etc. Took off as little stock as I could, he wanted it as thick as it could be, etc.

Loaded the stock up, and the machine went to measure, set-up, etc.

What a nightmare - the machine would run the entire length of the board thru the machine (I had proper roller supports in place), then it would go crazy, running back and forth faster and faster.

I KNEW the problem - it was simple - board wasn't true. Re-planed, (both sides this time - duh) placed it back in the machine - off it went - perfect.

Second board - same thing - spent more time with planing, Al's masking tape, etc. - off it went, perfect - till it got to almost the end of the carve - bit went of on a tangent, got a z stall (or X, don't remember) sh**, screwed it up - unfixable carving - ruined the board (and they aren't cheap).

I KNEW what the problem was, one of the outboard supports slipped, the machine was taking the entire load of the board's weight, couldn't handle it, etc. Lucky the backside of the board was good, replaned, turned the board over, made sure the supports were ok, off it went.

All the while my ME son was griping about how over sensitive the machine was - yadda, yadda, yadda. He didn't have an understanding of the machine's capabilities, or it's sensitivities. All he could do was give me the evil eye about how much I praise the thing.

My point here is this - I'm not close to being a brainiac - I just pay attention to this Forum. I can guarantee you, if I had had those problems, and hadn't paid attention, I would be extremely frustrated - I'd blame the machine, not me. But it was me, not the machine.

BTW, the pieces look great - I'll post once they're on the wall.
    Last edited by cnsranch; 07-06-2009 at 03:04 PM.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Default Is it all worth it?

This is my first response on this forum
    I purchased a used CW off off Ebay
    It had only 12 hours on it. I also got the scan probe, and extra bits
    I had it for about a week before I used it to do any carving.

I spent the week reading this forum and learning the software
    So this past weekend I did my first two carvings
    While they were not great, but I thought they were not bad for my first try.

I can understand why some people would have issues with a machine like this
    but with just a little time spent understanding how the machine works can go a long way

Like most woodworking machines, there is always ways to improve them.
    I think the biggest problem with this machine is the lack of dust collection

But using this forum, I see a number of people have already addressed this issue. And soon you can add me to that list, as I will be building a dust hood for mine.

[QUOTE=trophyman;95510]I must be the all time winner for time spent reading about the CW without actually owning one. At least 4 years!
    QUOTE]

About 120 hours with no complaints and only a few minor troubles. My QC did exhibit some runout on cutouts around 80 hours but I resolved that with a Rock chuck. I won't ever say the QC was not LHR's best choice for point click and carve, it is a good system and I really dig the machine. Their support is great and the support here in the forums is fantastic. Lots of talented folks who like to share.
    Okay, to answer your question more simply: yes.
    Cheers,
    Bill Brooks
    Henrico , VA
    Printer, Zymurgist, Carvehead
    Machine One - Version B, Carvetight upgrade and a Ringneck Blues Dust collector www.ringneckblues.com
    Machine Two - 5th Anniversary Version C, Rubber Belts and a Ringneck Blues Blues Dust collector

Default Dust Collector

Quote Originally Posted by dhilburn View Post
    This is my first response on this forum
    I purchased a used CW off off Ebay
    It had only 12 hours on it. I also got the scan probe, and extra bits
    I had it for about a week before I used it to do any carving.
    Like most woodworking machines, there is always ways to improve them.
    I think the biggest problem with this machine is the lack of dust collection

But using this forum, I see a number of people have already addressed this issue. And soon you can add me to that list, as I will be building a dust hood for mine.
    Watch the LHR Pattern store for one in the near future.
    AskBud
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showpos...&postcount=154
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    Watch the LHR Pattern store for one in the near future.
    AskBud
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showpos...&postcount=154

Hey Bud,

How close does the intake of that get to the work and what size is the intake opening? Looks pretty far away from your pictures. If so, it seems as if it would take one BIG HONKING sucker to pull the bulk of the dust off the wood.

Best of luck with it!!
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Default Vacuum

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    Hey Bud,

How close does the intake of that get to the work and what size is the intake opening? Looks pretty far away from your pictures. If so, it seems as if it would take one BIG HONKING sucker to pull the bulk of the dust off the wood.

Best of luck with it!!
    Chris,
    I played with several designs and ideas before I engineered this one. Dad was a Tool & Die maker, and I was in the trade for a few years. Needless to say I never stopped learning from Dad (even after he died). I find all sorts of notes where he re-engineered some tool/gig to allow it/him to better perform the job. This baby is all mine as dad died in June of '08 at 90 years of age. I looked at lots of "Store-bought" pick-ups and studied the "Flow as much as I could.

I'm attached to a Shopsmith 3300, which is on the "Low" end of the flow charts at 360 CFM. My design keeps most dust off the rollers even on 14" stock.

I keep looking for the best and cleanest way to introduce more airflow into the carving area. This would keep the chips and dust circulating until the Vacuum catches it. I can tell you that most of the dust & chips are picked up, or are in the crevice of the carve rather than on the belts and gear areas.

I know, I did not give you dimensions! You will have to wait on the Project to be for sale, hopefully here at LHR.
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Default I Promise To Have A Good Attitude!

Thanx everyone for the reassurance. Lowes shows they will be carrying them in store after 7/16. I think I like Lowes better than Sears. As soon as I get it, I'm sure I'll have a million questions. I PROMISE TO HAVE A GOOD ATTITUDE! (you can remind me of this statement)

and yes, that rock chuck looks like a good idea. I see it come in 2 sizes. I would imagine the smaller one would be best for me? I want to engrave small detailed pieces.

Mark

www. trophyman.com

Default Extended Warranty

Will Lowe's offer an Extanded Warranty?
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Default Newbie

My son and I just purchased a refurbished unit. We've had it for about a week. We've carved a few "samples." Only issues that we've had so far is an over heating flex shaft and chip out problems with lettering. Flex shaft issue seems to be taken care of with some motorcycle chain lube. Chip out seems to be as much from things being too small as anything else.

So far we are happy.

Thumbs up

Welcome to the CW Forum,

By keeping an eye on the Flex-Shafts temp you should be ok,
    read as much as you can on this forum, and try the Search option on Chip-outs
    to learn how it works, -- plus don't ever be afraid to ask questions.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast