Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squaring Plate Question

Quote Originally Posted by supershingler View Post
    couldnt you just draw a square line across a wide board with a pencil,
    install the carving bit and lower it and place it on the pencil line on the keyboard side and line it up. then turn off your machine and manually push the ztruck across the board to the other side and push the z truck down the see if it hits the line. ihave used this to method to check my machine for square.

kendall
    Yep, this would work too... it just may be a little harder to see v/s seeing the edge of the tool up against a square, but it would get you pretty close. An indicator would get you exact. (within the accuracy of your square, and the feel of getting the square against the rail)... Im sure your method would get you close enough for what is trying to be accomplished.
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Or just cut a 2" dado x 1/8" deep across the grain of a board say--10-14" wide on the end and check it with your favorite framing square from both exdges.
    later Daniel That will also tell if your "SQUARE IS SQUARE"
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Lots of great ideas, thanks guys. I used a shallow crosscut across a piece of ply and used the saw kerf as my guide. I was off a little more than 1/32 in 13 inches across the y axis. Doesn't seem like much and I'm sure it was the result of my modification to the squaring plate for the rubber belts. Hopefully the screws will stay tight enough without loctite now that everything is square.

Mark
    Last edited by mfdchief; 06-15-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks for your suggestions guys, they are all great.
    Steven Alford
    Colorado Springs, CO
    V1.152

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12