Thread: Clear Board Sensor/Edge Detection Failure

maxg Guest

Default Clear Board Sensor/Edge Detection Failure

Okay so I have about 25 hours of millage on my carvewright and I have certainly had issues with the machine, but nothing I haven't been able to bypass or fix. However, today I was using the machine to make rough guitar bridges. I was able to make two until I received a Edge Detection Failure (error 400) when trying to scan the board size, and also get a Clear Board Sensor error when I try and run a program. Recently I had to remove my board sensor and clean it because there was so much sawdust on the inside of the lens, but it now reads 242 so I'm confident that isn't the problem. I've vacuumed and used compressed air to try and clear out anything in the machine, but so far the issue still persists. Does anyone have any insight on some solutions to the problem?

Use a piece of white paper to check your board sensor reading. While viewing the reading move the 'Y' truck toward the keypad and see if the board sensor reading remains consistent.

I has a similar problem and my reading would drop to zero or close to that when it approched the keypad. Problem was a bad connection of the FFC cable at the head terminal board.

It's worth a check.
    Ken Rugaber
    South Milwaukee, WI (winter)
    Munising, MI (summer)
    Using designer 1.164
    My Website
    http://www.ruggybear.com/

Need to catalog your MPC and PTN files? I recommend FilePick
    http://www.rsbriggs.com/fp/index.html

There are a ton of posts if you search "board sensor" using the " ".

You will find Dark Wood problems solved by tape.

Dirty Lens inside or outside.

White paper should give you a 140 - 156 reading using options and sensor data.

Be sure to read the manual and Tips and Tricks.

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Which measurement direction causes this error? You can use the board measure function in the menu to test it out. Measure the width first. If it fails on the length it is probably an issue with a roller switch.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

maxg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    Which measurement direction causes this error? You can use the board measure function in the menu to test it out. Measure the width first. If it fails on the length it is probably an issue with a roller switch.
    Yeah I've tried both width and length and both give me an "edge detection failure," which is strange, because if I run the program directly, when it measures, it gives me a "clear board sensor" message

You are going to need to do the White Paper test to tell if your sensor is measuring correctly. White paper is a "Standard" as boards are all shades of brown....

140 - 156 is good for white paper. 40 bad... Dirty lens on the INSIDE.....

Trust me.... This information has been posted 50 times.

So if it fails the width test it is a sensor problem. If it passes the width measurement and then faults on the length test it could be a stuck roller. When the roller drops it tells the computer to get ready to look at the length... No drop.... NO LOOK.....

So until you do the test, running a board will result in the same problem.....

Lets start the troubleshooting part of this post.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

maxg Guest

Ok so I tried the white paper test. Put white paper in the machine and it read 232...so don't know if I did it right, but I assume you put the paper in just as if you were putting wood in?

EDIT: Also, I just replaced the board sensor with a new sensor from carvewright and tried to run the machine but still had the same errors occur. What could the problem be now?
    Last edited by maxg; 06-08-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Something is not right.... 232 is too high.... Sounds like a $200.00 computer problem. Call LHR.

White paper just gives a standard so my white paper is the same as your white paper.

Sounds like a EXPENSIVE Trip to LHR....

Done with this one.

AL

Max,
    Besides the usual tests (being sure wires aren't crimped, etc, proper roller pressure, belts not folded) it's also possible that your new sensor is bad (I had one of those, which made it very frustrating to find the problem). I was lucky and purchased two replacements, so quickly found that the first was bad, while the second worked perfectly.
    Bob Hill

Default Clear Board Sensor

Hi To All
    This is a reply to the "Clear Board Sensor" that alot of us have experienced
    including myself reciently.
    If you are using a carrier board, like me, look at the bottom side of it. I have a carrier board that I made with adjustable locks to lock in various size projects. I haven't looked at the bottom side of it since I made it until a few days ago. Well low and behold there is my problem. On the sensor side, which is the same side the LCD screen is on, the bottom of the carrier board was worn down enough so the sensor o-ring was not making good contact with the carrier board. I turned the carrier board around 180 and tried the project again and had no problems with board sensor messages. If you don't use a carrier board and your project board is flat and smooth you should be OK.
    Loose connections, saw dust and other maladies is a horse of another color.
    Thought you all may be interested with this imput.
    Chino