Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom pattern

1. Default Custom pattern

I have had this machine for 8 months now, and tend not to use it for 1 simple reason. I bought it so I could expand my furniture business to offer custom carving... and I can't figure out the easiest way to create them.

For example: Lets say I want to create a shell carving from scratch. How would you go about that? How are all the patterns in the Pattern Depot created? It seems like it would be faster to carve them by hand.

Does anyone know if there is an after market software that works?

Default patterns

pattern making is a whole new game with lots of work to make'
    thank goodness there is many great patterns avalable and many that can make you custom work, just take advantage of their service , use your time to build and design what you want.
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

Quote Originally Posted by cholme@mac.com View Post
    I have had this machine for 8 months now, and tend not to use it for 1 simple reason. I bought it so I could expand my furniture business to offer custom carving... and I can't figure out the easiest way to create them.

For example: Lets say I want to create a shell carving from scratch. How would you go about that? How are all the patterns in the Pattern Depot created? It seems like it would be faster to carve them by hand.

I purchased Corel Draw x4 and use it to convert jpg pictures from clipart into patterns.

good luck
    Jeff

Jeff Corder

Jeff,
    Would you care to go into an explanation on how you do it in Corel Draw?
    I am in the learning process myself. Any help would be appreciated.
    Steven Alford
    Colorado Springs, CO
    V1.152

There is alot of software available it just depends how deep you want to go into from a time and money standpoint. I am not too familar with the graphics programs like corel xara odobe. There are a lot of 3d packages that work great 3d max zbrush maya lightwave and the 2.5d packages like artcam stenza and aspire. with the 3d software they can be pricey and there is a leaning curve if you have never messed with one. For me making patterns is as much fun as carving them. My advice would be to check out some of the trial versions and make your decision from there. hope this helped
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

I'm with jpaluck. There are so many great 3d software out there to use for making pattern. 3ds max has been rated to be one of the best 3d modeling package out there. Yes, the learning curve is intensive.
    I suggest trying out some of the software and pick the one that work best for you or better yet, leave it to the professional pattern maker like me for example

Default Hands-on help

cholme@mac.com,

Where are you located? Perhaps there is someone near you that can help.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

8. Default

I still feel like I am missing something.

Isn't the beauty of this machine that one can create beautiful CUSTOM carvings. So I have to either pay someone to create a nice looking pattern, or use a pattern that is not custom. If I wanted to buy pre-done images I can find that in catalogues for a lot less work.

I am in the Los Angeles area. I have tried to catch CarveWright at 4 wood shows out here and they have cancelled every one at the last minute.

I am starting to think this was a waste of money.

The carvewright pattern maker is awful, and frankly I don't have photographs of everything I want to carve.

It seems like someone could come up with a way to use it with SketchUp... very easy and intuitive.

Ok, I am venting... sorry, but I am usually pretty savvy, and this is making me feel like an idiot.

I still feel like I am missing something.

Isn't the beauty of this machine that one can create beautiful CUSTOM carvings. So I have to either pay someone to create a nice looking pattern, or use a pattern that is not custom. If I wanted to buy pre-done images I can find that in catalogues for a lot less work.

I am in the Los Angeles area. I have tried to catch CarveWright at 4 wood shows out here and they have cancelled every one at the last minute.

I am starting to think this was a waste of money.

The carvewright pattern maker is awful, and frankly I don't have photographs of everything I want to carve.

It seems like someone could come up with a way to use it with SketchUp... very easy and intuitive.

Ok, I am venting... sorry, but I am usually pretty savvy, and this is making me feel like an idiot.
    Pattern making is in my opinion the hardest part to learn. I am still learning. The investment in a few patterns like I did and the many free patterns have served me well. No one said it would be easy.

The pay off adding value to your products will be well worth the investment in a few patterns. As you learn to make pattern's it becomes more cost effective.

Since you posted your area, someone might invite you to see a unit work. I have 6 in my area.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Alford View Post
    Jeff,
    Would you care to go into an explanation on how you do it in Corel Draw?
    I am in the learning process myself. Any help would be appreciated.
    Sorry Steve I have been away from the computer as you can see, working in the shop getting ready for a festival. I just download the file as a jpg, it is better if you can find vector art or clip art. You want the lowest compression possible. I then import it into Corel and just turn it into a bitmap file, then put some gossian blur on it to smooth it out and export it to a sub directory as a png file. Once you get it into designer, just clean it up as needed. I have never messed with the 3d stuff for making my own.

Good luck and sorry for the late post back to you
    Jeff

Jeff Corder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast