Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carving depth problems

Default Too deep

Quote Originally Posted by WorkedWood View Post
    I am having a similar problem with the project attached. I’ve checked the depths thinking I typed .75 instead of.075, changed it to the current depth of .125. I load the board onto the sled and the carving bit cut right through the board and carves the pattern into the sled at the correct depth??? Now here is the kicker. If I hide the text (centerline with 60 bit) the pattern carves correctly. I thought I had the problem fixed and reloaded the finished project with everything and it cut right through again. I’m thinking that it is a problem between the difference of the carving bit and the 60 bit.
    Your design shows that you are placing a 3/4" board on your sled. My bet is that you really have thin stock, and are making cards or something.

If this is true (stock is thin), then you need to reflect the actual thickness in your design (Board thickness). Designer will prompt you to verify that measurement. Just press "Proceed".
    When you run your project, you will be asked if use want to use the "Project" thickness or the combined thickness of the stock & the sled.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Default Board settings are correct

Bud,

The board is 3/4" thick on top of a 3/4" sled. If I carve the items individually (text hidden, carve pattern) everything works correctly. It seems to be an issue with the two bits and the calibrating between them.

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    Your design shows that you are placing a 3/4" board on your sled. My bet is that you really have thin stock, and are making cards or something.

If this is true (stock is thin), then you need to reflect the actual thickness in your design (Board thickness). Designer will prompt you to verify that measurement. Just press "Proceed".
    When you run your project, you will be asked if use want to use the "Project" thickness or the combined thickness of the stock & the sled.
    AskBud

Unhappy Ah Ha!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I have discovered the problem. Facing the z-truck, the lower left guide is loose. The screw will not tighten or come out, just turns. When turning the guide moves in and out like the screw could be bent. This is what has been letting the carving bit move out of position and causing the errors in the project. I'll have to wait until Tuesday to contact CR about this issue since it is still in warranty.

Thanks again for all the help
    Gene Adams
    Overland Park, Ks

"For he who serves his fellows, is of all his fellows, greatest"

E Urner Goodman

Default Screw is OK

geno147,

The screw-hole is not in the center of that bearing because this is how the bearing is positioned tight against the rails AND allows you to remove the Z truck (when turned so the gap is the greatest).
    The screw probably has lock-tight on it, you can hold the screw with a screwdriver and turn the bearing-center with a wrench to tighten in.
    Check Al's super-duper bearing instructions.

Edit: Oops, wrong side!
    Last edited by DocWheeler; 05-23-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Error
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Thanks Ken,

Geno,

If you search I have posted a bunch of pictures and procedures to tighten the screws.

If the bottom left bearing is loose, that one came loose on me the first time. That one is drilled in the center. The ones on the right are off set drilled.

You must remove the Z Truck to fix this problem to get to the back of the bearing nut.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default Thnx

It would be nice if we had R&I instructions for all these things. I got that tightened up and adjusted the right side which seems to have taken care of the head looseness. Project seems to be cutting correctly. Thanks again for all the help.
    Gene Adams
    Overland Park, Ks

"For he who serves his fellows, is of all his fellows, greatest"

E Urner Goodman

Gene

LHR has all of them as well as some of the members here. LHR will email them to you when you order replacement parts.If you need one for a certain area you can send me a PM along with a email address and I will send it to you if I have it.

Do you need the one for the Z trunk replacement? I have this one along with most others.

Remember when you tighten the adjusting screws on the right you need to tighten them up just so the bearing is to the point where you can not turn it by hand and back-off slightly. If I remember right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12