Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Fish sign completed

It is a winner. Projects just keep getting better & better here all the time.

I think some people here have been trying to put a bug in mtylerfl ear for a 2 sided Bass for a project of the month. I think anyone that takes the time to do the project that it would pay off. There is a lot of sportsmen in the world that love fishing.
    Last edited by PCW; 05-08-2009 at 09:32 PM.

Amassing work on all of your parts, simply put- Beautiful piece of Art. That is the kind of projects that inspire. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Ray

It is a winner. Projects just keep getting better & better here all the time.
    +100 nice job!

LG

Quote Originally Posted by myshop1044 View Post
    I just completed this one. The pattern was a custom request from CarveBuddy and the Red Fish was custom painted by a friend of mine. I had to do both of them one at a time so he could paint the redfish.
    I have slowed down on the carvings and I'm now doing custom carving request only.

Myshop1044
    WOW!!!!!!! That is amazing how the machine carve the fish and the painting is fantastic!!!

Ike

Myshop,
    Excellent work, well done
    Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

that's just wonderful."exquisito". .................

7. Thumbs up

One of the best I've seen on this forum!

First Class, Very well done !!
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

awsome looking I was thinking the finishing had to be a taxidermist..man it looks great ...nice pattern Michael
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Myshop, I would think it would be hard press to find a 14" wide board, not impossible. Then the cost would be up ther for a single board. May I suggest gluing two board? If you have the means, jointer, table saw and bar clamps a glued board is often stronger then a wider natural board. If you take two 7" boards and get a true edge with Gorilla glue it isn't going any where.

If you want add piece of mind you could use dowels and use a good dowel jig, trust me it saves head aches! Or use biscuits and if you don't have a biscuit jointer then there is an excuse to buy one! Keep in mind with both dowels and biscuits you run into the possibility of running into them during carving.

If you drilled the hole for the dowel too deep a void will show. Not to mention the dowel and the biscuit. I have had great results with just a plain butt joint.....I know I said butt joint!! Ok edge joint! Anyway with Gorilla glue use correctly you will have a strong board.

Some will say to flip the boards and make the grain go the opposite of each other to avoid cupping. I use redwood and have never switched grain pattern and have glued up to 8' wide signs with the grain going the same way without ant problem.

That is redwood, maybe it applies to other material more, if it isn't an issue what way the grain goes, then to be safe check the end of the board. See what way the grain is going and flip the other opposite of the one. Or be like me and glue it up the way it looks best!

Trust me done correctly you will not be able to see the jointed edge without really looking!

Ike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12