Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is your machine tempermental?

Default Is your machine tempermental?

I seem to be lucky to get 2 carvings per 8 hours if I am lucky enough not to have a x,y,or z axis stall or "clean y rails" or something. I have been using the v-bit a lot to make plaques. I converted back to a simple st Louis cardinal carving and I kept getting "clean Y rails" and it's making me blow through material like mad.

Anyone have similar issues? it's getting a bit old. I have been cleaning everything thoroughly, replaced several parts, and make sure everything is tight.

I have the same problem if I go to long in between vacuuming during carving. I have be waiting on installing a downdraft/updraft because I have not made a decision on which one would be best.

I have a top side vac pull dust up. I know it's not a fancy dust collector but it's pulling 85% of it. I have had to use a lot of help from the guys here and the 800# tech support when I can. Some days I am lucky, but lately its been horrible.

I have a simple down draft box made of 2x6s and connected it to my Delta dust collector. After hours of carving it stays fairly clean inside. I think adding a dust collector and down draft to the CW is important. Wood shops typically have a dust collection for their woodworking tools and the CW is another woodworking tool...except dust collection is EVEN more important with the CW.
    Rick P -- ( Designer v.1.187 + Rock + Dust Devil)
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

Rick you dont happen to have a pattern or pic of it do you?

Hang in there. There will be better days. I'm am just to stubborn sometimes but I always win with the little machine. I kind of like the challenges they throw at me so we get along pretty good. Matter of a fact I purchase a second machine last week. But now I feel pretty confident that I can take anything that either one throws at me.

Are you working in a warm environment when you carving?

ya it's warm finally here in Central Illinois. I have 6x6 nook in my shop that is perfect for my machine. I have it mounted on a miter saw stand I found at menards xmas time for $30. I purchased the machine refurb'd. In the first few months I was cracking 16x10's carvings of anything and everything on nasty pine. now I have some nice poplar and have been getting a bit more extensive and it seems that the machine doesnt want to do the simple things anymore. Luckily (kind of) I just was laid off and have a bit of time. If I could make a good living out of it, I would design and do everything I could with this machine. I only wish there was a store or wood working store that I could work at around here. Ahh well.. I will keep at it.

Lost,

I noticed that you said you have using a lot of "nasty pine". Have you checked for pitch build up on the rails and bearings? Give them a good wipe down with some alcohol on a rag, re lube and see it that helps some...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Does it count I am a tempermental user?!! Lost my friend all I can say is clean clean clean! My biggest issue has been a close cover switch, again clean and check for loose wires and screws!

I am in the need to clean my QC bits are sticking sometimes, so it needs cleaning!

Ike

Default Frustrating for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Does it count I am a tempermental user?!! Lost my friend all I can say is clean clean clean! My biggest issue has been a close cover switch, again clean and check for loose wires and screws!

I am in the need to clean my QC bits are sticking sometimes, so it needs cleaning!

Ike
    I was working on a sign for a customer due later today Wednesday and had 2characters left to carve on one part of the sign and all of a sudden it kicked out the board. Well it was 4:30 AM when this happened so I said I will go to bed and figure it out later. Well with a little help from LHR it was confirmed, my board sensor died. Well I happen to be talking to a guy that was selling a Compucarve, so I bought it and figured I can get this job done if I pulled another all night-er. Well I finished the one that got kicked out and carved the other part of the sign that was all Centerline. I loaded the last part of the carve and got the dreaded Y axis failure. It made a sound kind of like gears slipping then I got the error message. So I am trying to figure out a way to get this fixed tonight. I might just take the board sensor out of the compucarve and put it in the CW and see how that works.
    Ed Smith
    A WoodSmith
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast