Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lincoln Cent Coin Bank

Bob,

I believe that since Michael's projects get used as the month projects, that he creates them using the software that comes with the Carvewright woodworking machine.

Using other software would actually force others to buy the same software package as well, and after seeing the prices on some of the CAD software packages, I would be able to buy a couple Carvewright machines with the price that some are asking.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by ezambob View Post
    Hi Michael,

I'm a nubee and trying to wrap my hands around all things carvewright. I'm a complete novice on the different software / modeling options, but pretty computer savy, and was hoping that you could give me a quick push in the right direction. I'm interested in creating 3D models like your lincoln bank - how did you do it (what software did you use? Did you start with an image or did you scan a 3d object?)

Can you walk me through the steps of creating something like your Lincoln Bank? Where do you start... with what software, etc...

Thanks a bunch!

Bob
    Hello Bob,

I used the ArtCAM software to create the Lincoln relief. I visited the US Mint website and found a good quality close-up photo and used that as a reference.

I have two monitors...on one, I had the photo displayed (in PhotoShop) and the other I had the ArtCAM software running. That way, I could easily refer to the original photo as I worked. In addition, I also imported the photo as an underlayment in ArtCAM as a guide to create the main outline vectors and for a guide when using the sculpting tools as I tweaked the relief.

An alternative to ArtCAM is the Aspire software (cost is about one fifth the price of ArtCAM). I could have used the Aspire software and achieved exactly the same result, no problem.

Both ArtCAM and Aspire are specifically designed from the ground up for creating high-quality reliefs for CNC machining. I highly recommend either one.

After I created the Lincoln relief and converted it to a ptn (CarveWright pattern format), I did the rest of the layout entirely within the CarveWright Designer software.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I would like to know what the wood that you used was and how you finished it? The coloring is perfect for a penny.

how did you bend the wood around the sides?

Quote Originally Posted by lesuer27 View Post
    how did you bend the wood around the sides?
    The carvewright can bend wood like that!!
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345